Friday, June 29, 2012

Repairs are done!


Bringing out the box of batik fabric, I cut circles of different sizes and appliqued them over the places that were beginning to tear. In the end, there were over 60 spots that needed repair and when I looked again at where they fell, there seems to be a pattern. Some places were heavily damaged and some had no problem at all.

I began to think about the way this fabric is printed. A certain length is stenciled with paste and then folded back in an accordian fashion. If you look closely at a roll of yukata fabric, you can find these reversals in the design.

When all the stenciling is done, the whole folded pile is laid atop a vat and the dye comes from the top and is sucked through the stack. That is why the fabric, like batik, is usable from either side. (And also why sometimes words seem to be written in reverse. For tenugui, it doesn't matter because each towel is only the length of one stencil. It is those made for yukata where the writing is reversed in some places. Writing might be used for a Sumo wrestler's yukata  ... I have some of that ... or perhaps some artistic caligraphy... I have some of that too.

Looking at the damaged areas, they seem to fall within this pattern... at certain ends of the stencil area. Maybe the dye there had more of the mordants  that cause decay.

Still thinking about the + and x blocks, Janet suggested using all one color cornerstones to give the eye a place to rest. Now I am beginning to think how I liked the blocks all laid out with some of the white sheet showing between the blocks. It might be a good plan to use a white or light sashing... maybe even a fine print to sash all the blocks and use the cornerstones to balance the color.

I have cut many sashing pieces but those can always be used for another project. Another advantage to that is that I could put the blocks into rows and do a lot of the sashing while I travel. I could even take a baggy of colored 1-inch blocks along because many of my kids have enough space in their homes to spread the rows out and make decisions.

I love the input I get from my readers, especially when I am trying to come up with a plan.. Keep those ideas coming. A bit of a stir to the old brain is a big help.

8 comments:

  1. sounds as if you have the problem... and the solution all worked out x Have a good trip and enjoy time with your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of the light sashes too - and cornerstones as well. I think they will really make the blocks stand out. Of course, being able to travel with it is a big plus and not a minus. Pun intended! :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea, but I love what you are doing and you always have an eye for design and layout, so i know it will look beautiful, when you are finished.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet it feels good to have all those repairs done! It is such a pretty quilt- it is going to be LOVED! Now you can head off on your trip to the States and just enjoy yourself handing it over! Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie dear, you have got to be one of the best at making lemonade when handed lemons! Are you really leaving so soon? When do you come back? I have my ticket for September 25. I really like the idea of all the sashing in one color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, many words are new for me like batiki, tenugui (i saw the meaning on the internet), and so on.

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of white/light sashing between the busy blocks. I always find that to be more relaxing to view.
    So, you are packed and ready to travel? Are you taking an empty suitcase with you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just knew you'd sort it out Julie, well done you - and you even worked out why there might have been the problem in the first place, over and above the call of duty I'd say!

    ReplyDelete