Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Onward, into the New Year



I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year,
"Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown".

And he replied, "Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be better than a light and safer than a known way".

For many years, I have kept a small notebook of quotes and this one seems to fit what the year ahead has to offer. There is more unknown to face than ever before in my life and it is stuff over which I have no control.

My focus word for the year is "acceptance".

The picture is what I have begun working on as a gift for the speaker at the Women's Conference at the end of January. I had one more panel , the same as I used last year. After reading the "Who am I?" sketch by Sharon Draper, our speaker, she mentions seeing rainbows where others see rain, and tells of her love of seasons. The panel contains the kanji for the seasons and I will add one more inch of color strips to the rainbow border.

Once that is done, I will quilt the kanji and ass a bible verse. At this point, I am thinking of the same verse I used last year ... To everything there is a season.....
I think the finished piece can be used as either a table runner or a wall hanging.
I really don't like the pressure of deadlines, but I think I can get this finished by the end of the month.

Last month, when I was feeling depressed at the lookout for the future, my quilting friend shared this piece with me that she had received from another friend....

"I have come to  accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight.
And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you are going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you."           Joybell

I hope I will do better this year with acceptance than I did last year with encouragement.
My notebook will be a good reminder.
Warmest wishes for the New Year to all my blogging friends.

\\\\\\

17 comments:

  1. very best wishes to you and your family for 2014 x I hope you have fun times a plenty and sad times .. as few as possible x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing she hath wings. Victor Hugo

    Love you, Julie. Happy New Year, Akemashite Omeditoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you, my friend. Your quilt piece if so beautiful and I know it will be a treasured gift. Whatever is causing the uncertainty in your life is no match for your faith and positive approach to whatever God puts in your path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Julie! I've enjoyed reading your blog these past few months, getting to know you and learning a bit more about Japan. My plan for 2014 is to try to roll with whatever happens, and to try to enjoy something along the way. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, with your faith, and us out here as the wind beneath your wings, you will fly through the uncertainty with ease. Sharing doubts , having an acceptance of what happens , maybe there are so many of us who feel this way, and a little afraid to put it into actual words. Your wall hanging is beautiful, the rainbow border sets it off to perfection, such a gift to be treasured. Fond greetings for the New Year, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. best wishes Julie. What a great idea to keep a little notebook of quotes, that might be an idea I will borrow from you for 2014

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that saying, would be a nice one to make into a stitchery. I think we are all at that point where we hit a lot of bumps in the road and I have learned to go with it and see where it takes me.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You encouraged me this past year. Good luck in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A New Year always brings things we don't expect. Don says, every time we go on a drive or a hike, that we will be surprised with wonder, and we always are - a different bird that we've not seen before - a new view of a mountain or the ocean, a rainbow - always a surprise, so I've come to like expecting something but not knowing what it is - so I can be surprised with wonder. May your new year be full of surprises and wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes to you for a wonderful 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! I like the quotes you used today and love the quilt. Happy quilting in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilt and the quotes as they resonate with me as I look at the year behind me and the one ahead. After the past few months I'm grateful that we don't know what lies ahead as oftentimes the prospect of things to come are more frightening than living through them. My word for the year is Gratitude. I'm trying to remember to look for the blessings as I'm being refined. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Warmest wishes to you, too, my friend - Happy New Year!! - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie, thank you for the beautiful quotes, which are so timely and inspirational. In times of uncertainty, we will hold the thought that God is ever-present to guide and care for all of us.
    May 2014 be a year of peace and plenty for everyone. And, your quilt with the elegant kanji and vibrant rainbow border is gorgeous. It will be perfect either as a runner or a wall hanging.

    Blessings and all the best to you, from Marina and Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  16. That quote at the top is a beautiful thought. We too have upcoming changes and no control over when they happen and even what will happen when change comes. But I think God works best with us when we have to finally rely on Him fully. Have faith, my friend! God has you in the palm of His hand and He will NEVER let go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie, the first quote I mentioned earlier that I liked it. Today, jan. 5 th , I used the quote to start my Sunday School lesson & they all liked it so much. One lady spoke up & said that the quote was in a movie with Jimmy Stewart, called "the Mortal Storm", I think. I came home & googled movie with Jimmy Stewart & the quote & found more info on quote on Wikopedia. The royal family have the quote on a gate, I think, at one of their cemetaries. Thanks for using the poem in your blog. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete