Thursday, November 20, 2014

Re-runs of the Yokohama Quilt show


I think I have waited too long to continue my posts about the show.

Since Queenie's pictures are so much better, I was kind of waiting to see what she would post before subjecting my viewers to my rather wonky takes.

Now my brain has become a bit foggy as to what categories my pictures belong or what Queenie has already posted.

Some of those categories were Contemporary, Traditional, Flower, "Wa" (Japanese quilts), and "Message" quilts.

Years ago I made a quilt of flower blocks on a black background, not as fancy as this quilt made by Kayoko Ozono, but large enough for a queen-sized bed. The bed was way too large for any bedroom in this house so the quilt was passed to one of my daughters but I still have memories that were brought to mind when I saw this garden,

This quilt by Harumi Asada has a title ...beginning with 100 flowers.
(something about colorful potential)...


What a lot of work went into that one. There are different flowers in the centers of each of those sun flowers.



















This quilt is really more striking than my photo shows, so I include a close-up shot.















Titled "Clematis",
by Yoko Ozaki,


you can appreciate the amount of work that went into not only the background, but the applique and stitching.

It was done by machine but probably hand working over all those layers would have worn out a lot of fingers.







Now my memory becomes a bit foggy.


I can't remember what category this was but maybe still in the flower area.

3 x 3  (nine)

is the title of this collection of nine-patch blocks setting off lovely floral hexagons.


Since many of my plentiful scraps are in the one-inch box, I am always attracted to new ways of using them, and I think this is a cleaver possibility.








Both Queenie and I thought the border was a bit heavy on this Hawaiian quilt.

The workmanship by Yoko Kanazawa is excellent.
I was rather surprised to see print fabrics used in the boarder applique
because Hawaiian style usually deals in solids.

This quilt would be fun to see on a bed with the borders hanging at the edges.









This Bridal Bouquet quilt by Yasuko Hasegawa
seems to use either feed sack material or reproduction fabrics.


Since I grew up with clothing and quilts made using similar fabrics, it had a certain appeal. This pattern was also popular in that era.

(Note the little patches in the borders and you will know another reason it caught my eye).



Ginko Sueyoshi created this lovely "Christmas Rose".

As I recall, it was machine work and there was a lot of detail in the quilting.


















There were a number of "Japanese Quilts".


This was somewhere between those and the flower quilts.

I guess cherry blossoms say "Japan", even on quilts. Matsuko Morishita put a lot of hand work into this quilt.






This quilt also seems to have been among the Japanese quilts.


The title has something to do with "Wa"

Made by Yuko Koshikawa.

There was plenty of embroidery in each of those circles both in the blocks and in the border.











And, here is a bit of folk art.


The title escapes my translation skills but I thought you might enjoy this struggle with a giant carp and the amazing hand work of Sanae Yamaguchi.















This quilt by Emiko Kushi caught my eye because all these designs are copies of manhole covers.


Somewhere in the quilt world there is a book of these covers and I have seen them and even photographed them in my travels around the country.

Tokyo's manhole covers have a large cherry blossom but they are not in color ... probably just too many to justify the expense.

They were first brought to my attention by my friend, Marion Fox, living in Maryland and visiting her son who was then working at the US Embassy. I still have a small album of pictures she sent me of manhole quilts taken at a show in her neck of the woods.

And, because I love to see kids getting hooked on quilting, I have included this photo of a group quilt made by Fujieda High School Students,

entitled "SU*I*KA", which is the name for watermelon.








One of my goals before leaving the show was to meet up with my new friend, Chikako Ueno.

As, in  the past, she found me before I found her. I had just said good-bye to my friend Queenie and was heading over to the Nihon Heritage Quilters Guild exhibition area.

This is always a wonderful example of how quilting brings people together. Their theme for this exhibit was "World Costume". Quilters from France, Korea, and Japan were given the name of a country and then made a small quilted hanging representing the traditional costumes of that country. This was the group's 15th Anniversary exhibit and very cleverly done. This is a picture of me with Ueno-san beside her wonderful interpretation of Korean costumes.

The group members were chatting around the center table and trying to think up a new theme to be used next year. We had an all-too-short visit before I spent my last bit of time hunting through the shops for pencil lead and batiks in purple. (I did find purple and green batik ... the color just right but it was already cut in pieces too short and had goldfish swimming all over ... Maybe not quite what that rainbow wants, but I still have two more places left to look).

Between the show and now, I have been hustling to finish up the Christmas present for my elder son.

This is the fifth Advent calendar I have made and I still need to add the hanging sleeve and get those pieces of wood carved and painted so it can get into the mail before Advent begins.

I don't think Ken looks at my blog but even if he does, he already knows I have drawn his name this year and this is probably what he will get.

I have a Scouting event from early tomorrow and in some of that outdoor time I plan to do some whittling ... rather than add wood chips to the dog hair that is already covering my floors.

So ... off I go to re-fill my coffee cup and hunt up my sharpest knives.
Hope your weekend is productive too.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing quilt and so much beautiful work went into them.
    Your advent quilt is beautiful, I need to start making some things for me, now.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julie for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas Rose, my favourite, right after the last 2, and did I see the canine family member sitting there, lovely to be included. Happy stitching, Hugs, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the photos. It must have been an inspiring show. I have a whole series of manhole cover photos that I took on a recent trip to Japan. My friends all thought I was crazy so I am glad to see I am not alone in my madness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tour. My favourites are the 100 flowers and the Wa. The manhole covers is probably pretty spectacular in person. You are so lucky to get to see so many fantastic quilts, and to meet up with quilting friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my - what wonderful quits. Quilt shows always amaze me. Love the one the kids made - it is indeed good to see kids getting involved.

    Enjoy your wood pieces - what do you plan to make?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the quilts are so breath-taking as well as inspiring. I love the look of appliqued flowers on a black background. Is it a strain on your eyes to work on a dark background? I love the Japanese themed quilts especially the carp and cherry blossom ones. I agree that the border is a little too heavy for the Hawaiian quilt. Most are light and airy looking. It is still a lovely quilt. I have seen more Hawaiian quilts made with monochrome batiks instead of the traditional solids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone else - the quilts are wonderful!! - And I really do enjoy "re-runs" - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Julie,
    Thanks for posting these fabulous quilts that I did not have any photos of. Your comments are also great and bring back a lot of memories - it is like being back at the show with you. I am sorry I did not have time to stay and chat with Ueno-san. Let's hope for next year. BTW, will she have anything in the Tokyo show in January?

    ReplyDelete
  10. For some reason we missed this post in Blogger Reader, but we are enjoying it now! My favorites are the clematis and 3 x 3 (nine), and the watermelon. Here in the US the trend is toward minimalism in quilting, as in the 'modern quilt' movement with only one block or element on a field of white. It often seems that the Japanese style is the opposite, with every surface covered with applique or print fabric, with impressive workmanship. As in the Hawaiian quilt, where the border detracts from the center. Although we love all styles, there must be a happy medium. Your quilts, btw, strike the right balance. :-)

    ReplyDelete