Monday, February 22, 2016

A bit more Tokyo Dome show


I often wonder how the judges arrive at six quilts, from out of all those entered, to award the prizes.

This sign was posted to explain the awards.



Usually I make more than one trip to the show, the second one later toward the end of the show and the end of the day so that I can get better pictures without heads and shoulders of the crowds.

I usually take a picture of the quilt, followed by one of the sign posting the  details (for later identification)

This year, my priority was meeting my friends. Even among the crowds, friends are the very best. My pictures kind of fell in the gap betweens friends and crowds.

Somewhere in the center of the hall, the Grand Prix winners are exhibited.

We happened to pass when Miwako Mogami was posing for a photograph in front of her first prize quilt, "Wow, BANANAS".

How typical this pose is ...

Is this a V for victory ... or the Cub Scout sign promising to "Do My Best"?

Probably the first ... but she DID do her best on this one ...
in the eyes of the judges.










This was the pick for the best "Hand Making".


There certainly are many handmade quilts to chose from, and I am glad I didn't have to pick only one for the prize.



This one was made by Yoko Izumi.





I only got one other picture from among the winners and that one was the friendship award ...


though being somewhat distracted, I did not get a shot of the label so I can't give proper credit.






The winner here seems to be a group of friendly elephants.









Well, the last thing I have to show is progress with the baby quilt.

This one is never going to be displayed in a quilt show. No one is going to be counting the stitches to see how precisely it has been made.

But it is about real friendship. Maybe the label can say, "You can count on my love".


This will be the center of the quilt.

I am planning borders on the two sides with vines containing leaves in the same fabric as the numbers ...

One red leaf, two green and yellow leaves, three blue leaves, etc.

I plan a yellow border around the whole thing but I now have to examine my stash to find a background fabric that will go with the vines and leaves.

I have a good assortment of fabrics to use for the reverse side.

I used tenugui on the sister's quilt and one of my friends has just sent me a new supply ... but then, again, I have some cute kid-friendly prints as well.

Well, there is still time to think it over while I change projects to do a bit of whittling.

(Our pinewood derby is coming up this weekend and the expectations are high).
If I can't win a prize for quilting, maybe a fast car will do.


12 comments:

  1. Very interesting quilts in the show - though I am definitely a traditional quilt kind of gal. Your baby quilt ideas are so clever - I like counting the leaves. Can't wait to see what you whittle - I love all that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt, and I am sure it wins First Place with your grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wonder the judging too and I think some has to do with the judge's tastes, even though they aren't supposed to be swayed by their likes;) Your quilt is wonderful, I need to get going on a few for the new baby, the shower is in a few weeks and I am down with a cold, ugh.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting to know how the judges give an award to the quilters !!! Thank you very much Julie and I so love your baby quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing what you whittled for the derby this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the layers of meaning in your baby quilt. And I can't wait to see your Derby racer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been catching up on your posts from the quilt show. I am always stunned by the amazing quilts that are on display. I do appreciate you taking time to share the photos.
    The centre you have made for the baby quilt is a delight. It is cheerful and bright. I like the ideas you have with the leaves. i look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never understand how judges reach their decisions.. I just know that I seem to disagree A LOT of times xx Your quilt is made with love .. and will be used in the same way .. much more important than winning a rosette. I often wonder how many prize winners actually get used and loved xx Enjoy your sewing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent one quilt to the show last year and got three judges comment back. All totally different. They have some kind of qualification so I suppose they know what they are doing. Anyway, like your baby quilt. It's so bright! Happy fabric hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the baby quilt! You're so clever! My granddaughter and I want to come to Japan next year (her dream trip) so when is the Quilt Show? I've read about it on Tanya's blog but I don't think she goes every year.

    ReplyDelete