Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Finally!

At last the final stitches were put in and the label was sewn in place. The last lap was to the big PO, and after nearly seven months, Phoebe will be getting her quilt.


Granted, it is a single bed size so it can be used a bit longer than a baby bed coverlet. I am also glad the rain stopped long enough to take it to the park for a photo shoot.

I hope I have learned my lesson about trying to add things to the center of a large quilt.

The tree with seasonal borders was originally made for a group event that never kicked off. I decided to add seasonal flowers and leaves to the tree, and since my DIL, Zia, is an avid birder, lots of birds found their way to the tree.

Unfortunately, I added the I-Spy borders early on and it was just too hard to work on the center without stuff getting caught up in the stitching.

I decided to quilt the border and bind the quilt to  get rid of all the stuff around the edges, thinking that might make things easier to add to the center.

Well, it did help some but not enough. I had a nice print of ducks on water that I was thinking of putting as a pond on the right side of the tree, but after adding the flying Phoebe, I gave up as it would have been just too troublesome and time consuming.


Instead, I just cut a small template and traced a karakusa design to fill in any of the larger un-quilted spaces. I put in the final stitches last night and added the label to the back before noon. Grabbing a quickie picture before heading off to the PO. Hopefully, it will make it without being returned as Kai's Big-boy quilt did.

The feed sack blocks are ready to be arranged and pieced together but have been laid aside while I assemble some floral blocks similar to the black and white quilt. I also need to get going on another I-spy for my boss's expected baby. The piecing goes pretty fast while travelling on the train but the larger work can take much time and needs to be done at home as it is soon too big to work on as carry-along.

Friday I will set all aside to meet friends and enjoy the Yokohama quilt show. Hopefully the names of the quilters will be readable in English so I can share a few with my blogging friends.

11 comments:

  1. Julie it is a wonderful finish and will certainly be treasured! Very nice that it is a little bigger - for years and years of enjoyment even as Phoebe grows. I only wish I could have seen it in person. Looking forward to Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent quilt! So fun to look around at all the different fabrics. What a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, Phoebe's quilt is a masterpiece. She is going to love it. There are so many things to keep one looking at it for hours. Enjoy the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful!! Your quilts are always amazing - Phoebe is sure to love it!! Looking forward to your photos of the Yokohama quilt show - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my eyes this is one of your finest quilts. Love the blocks, colours, sashing, and borders.This will be a treasure for many,MANY years, made with love galore. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous finish! It turned out quite nicely, and the fact that it has the I-spy element, it will be entertaining as well as comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just lovely - and you do seem to be very busy, busy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another masterpiece Julie! Does this last picture fit inside your Quilt Diary book or have you had to start a new one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt turned out great! Hopefully it is there by now. Sorry, I'm way behind in my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete