Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Playing with blogger in the rain

      I guess the only way to overcome these obstacles is to start jumping.


    First things to jump over are the puddles, at we are having several days of rain. In the early morning I went out and swept up the leaves as usual. I didn't bother with my portable bin, but just picked up the leaves from the pile and put them in the bag. My bin-carrying hand was holding the umbrella.

     Then, as the rain let up a bit around noon, I stepped out to see what was up along the street, and found a small lake on the east side of the walk. this street has only been paved since the mid 70s and it has only been a few years since a sewer system was added, but that was only to small parts of the west side where property had been taken by the city when new houses were built. My side does have a few "drains" but those are the little holes in the sewer lids. Those, in the rain, are instantly clogged by leaves and, in this case, flowers from the sweet olive, leaving half the street under water. 

     Some areas one can get past without wading,  but a few put the whole street under water.

     One minute after removing the flowers clogging the drain, the petals were clogging it up again. This will go on until the rain, which is predicted to keep falling until Tuesday, stops filling the pond.

     I took out my portable bin and swept up some of the fallen flowers, hoping to clear some of the puddles for passers by. Those little flowers smelled so wonderful early in the week, but it sure would be nice if they could stay on the tree a bit longer.


    These bags are leftover from the onigiri delivery on Monday mornings, so they are not small. Two sweeping bins full is not a small amount. We shall see how long the the street stays de-laked.


Having down time has its benefits. 

The house blocks are getting sashing. I am thinking of a floral sashing between the row houses and the blocks. I have some tree print I can use to adjust the measurements in the border houses.

Mostly, I want to thank my blogging friends. We are all having challenges with new hoops to jump through, but I am so grateful for all the hints and helpful suggestions my blogging family have provided. Separated in time and space, yet so truly supportive. I could not ask for more. You are not only great quilters but great technical gurus and the  kind of friends everyone needs in these challenging times.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, same story here, my friend ! We've had a VERY dry summer, and now suddenly it doesn't stop raining, overflowing everywhere... It looks like seasons are completely disturbed, and totally different from previous years. Those who still don't believe in climate change should think it over...

    I LOVE LOVE your houses blocks setting ! Very unusual and brilliant !
    Keep going my friend, and take care.
    XOXOXO
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a bagful of fragrance! Your neighbours have a swept and drained street.
    You have done wonders with Blogger, and Tanya is right, you will master any problem thrown at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet when you first moved to this home that you didn't know you ha a waterfront property. I hope your neighbours appreciate how you care for the street.
    The house blocks are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The houses quilt is looking good. I hope your neighbours appreciate your efforts. We in the blogging community appreciate you. It is lovely to hear of another life in another country and culture on the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To wspaniałe, że będąc daleko, jesteśmy blisko siebie!
    Pozdrawiam z Polski!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the house block quilt is looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tetsu is our resident leaf raker and he spends at least a half an hour sweeping in front of our house everyday. Right now the chestnut trees are spreading their spiny balls around daily but pretty soon the street and our yard (only our yard! I don't know why!) will be covered in leaves every morning. Tetsu likes the job but he takes a break from it when it is rainy out.

    ReplyDelete