Saturday, July 24, 2021

Bad choice

     Every fall, the tree trimmers  come to my door, wanting to prune the trees in my front border. Actually, I do not want all the buds cut off of of my lovely plum tree, so I explained to the most recent "gardner" the reason for not wanting his service at that time. 

      That was a good choice, because this past spring the plum tree was the most beautiful ever and early summer brought more plums than there have ever been. 

I sometimes get complaints from people walking by, that the branches are rather low, and someone on a bike might touch them with his head. This is not a "through street" and there is a sign behind where I was standing to take this picture saying no cars. Yes, sometimes cars do try to squeeze past this wall and the fence on the other side. Often they end up knocking leaves off the tree as they pass. I often trim the lower branches so there will be no problems, but I have been concerned about the higher branches that are against the house and touching my neighbor's roofed area, so, when the guy showed up earlier in the week, I said OK, but told him I only wanted the lower branches above the street and those against the house and neighbor's roof taken off.

     I should have stayed outside, but I was in the middle of an online meeting, and didn't get back out until much later. By that time, he was cutting back the biwa on the other side of the house. It was after he left that I went back out the front and saw the results of his work.


 

None of the branches touching the house had been trimmed and there is no longer shade over the street.


     The maple as well Is more butchered than trimmed. The branches that were ripping the second floor window screen are still there. I'm pretty sure there will be branches returning, but removing those against the house will require setting up a ladder just to reach the lower ones. there were a lot of clippings left among the plants under the trees and a few caught among the higher branches where I will need a ladder to reach, 

     The shade along the street is gone and more sun comes into the house at the heat of the day. I guess I have learned my lesson the hard way. For what I paid, I could have gone out and bought one of those long-arm shears at the end of a pole.


     This will be the next choice. I hope it will not be as bad. I have finished piecing the upper and lower parts of the banner, Before I insert the blue area, I am thinking it might be easier to add the flowers and vines and words first. Probably I need to prepare a large piece of paper with drawings of the things I need to add ... or maybe I could cut the blue to fit and then overlay it with drawings.

     I still need to come up with ideas for the border. I am thinking of including strips for those who want to sign their names. Hopefully I don't melt from the heat before this is done...





 



17 comments:

  1. I am sorry to read what happened with the tree trimmer. What you have done with the banner looks fabulous! I’m sure everyone will love the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had problems getting through to ‘professional’ craftsmen in Japan. Instead of doing what I wanted they went ahead with their ‘expert’ skills and the results were awful. Hopefully the trees will grow back without problem.
    The quilt is going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you can't trust people to do what you ask anymore. They just don't get it and they don't care, either, which is a sad commentary on many people today. Looking forward to seeing what you plan for the blue center of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah....men with their shears, or is it their chainsaws. They simply cannot be trusted. The banner is looking fabulous. I will be interested in seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame. I know it will grow back, but of course that will take time. And no shade for Summer is a big problem.
    Lovely work with the blocks in the banner.Great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your trees - I agree with everyone else - it seems that some people just are not capable of following instructions and/or doing their jobs properly these days. I sometimes think - dang - if I need to do your job - I want your check - LOL. Please don't melt - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your banner - it is looking wonderful so far - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. หายากแล้วแบบนี้เว็บตรงไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์
    ที่ดีที่สุด แบบนี่้สุดยอดเว็บพนันบอล
    อัตราต่อรองได้มาตรฐาน
    ที่มาพร้อมกับเกมภาพคมชัดระดับHDอย่างสล็อตpgแตกง่าย
    เป็นเกมที่น่าเล่นในเวลานี้ เช่นสล็อตแตกง่าย
    จากค่ายเกมน้องใหม่มาแรงที่สุดในเวลานี้สล็อตjoker

    ReplyDelete
  8. ค่ายใหญ่ ค่ายดังเว็บตรงไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์
    พบกับเกมสล็อตpgแตกง่าย
    เป็นเกมที่มาแรงที่สุดในเวลานี้
    สล็อตแตกง่าย
    ที่มาจากค่ายสล็อตjoker
    ที่กำลังเป็นกระแสอยู่ในตอนนี้
    คอบอลไม่ควรพลาดกับการพนันบอล
    ที่ได้ค่าน้ำดีเป็นอันดับหนึ่งในเวลานี้

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom, that is heartbreaking to see the tree butchered like this. But he really took off too much of the crown percentagewise to fix it this year. More than 20% at once is too much. Don't trim any more of the limbs this year, but please don't leave the stub cuts as the tissue will not seal over - you'll need to get those cut back. See here for guidance https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/removing-branches1.shtml or hire a professional arborist to fix it. Maybe Norie can help find one with credentials. Here where I live, people refer to the garden maintenance contractors as the "mow and blow" people. They can cut grass and sculpt hedges, but not anything else. They should not work on trees. Cross your fingers. This tree has been around a while, and hope it keeps going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if I've ever seen a tree trimmed artistically in Japan. The trimmers are obviously not trained, they just bought clippers and a ladder and figure they can do the job. Some of the trees that were to be "trimmed" in my neighborhood later died just because not even of the tree was left to keep it alive. Leave my trees alone! (Though even Tetsu says they need to be trimmed somehow.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is looking even better. What a wonderful anniversary to celebrate. So sorry to see what the tree trimmers did. People can be careless of other's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tree trimmers are just like the power company people that come round when the branches are too close to the power lines. They simply cut the branches away with no regard for what the tree will look like when they're done, and sometimes it's really awful. Hot afternoon sun streaming in the window must be a bigger problem. Will have to read back to catch up with the banner story, but the colors are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tree trimmers sound like the people who come round from the power company to cut branches back from the power lines. No regard for what it might look like afterwards, and sometimes it’s really awful. Hot sun streaming through the window would be a big problem for me too. Have to go back and catch up on the banner story, but the colors are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tree trimmers sound a lot like the people from the power company who come round to trim the branches back from the power lines. No regard for what it may look like afterward, and sometimes it’s really awful. Hot sun streaming through the window would be a big problem for me too. Have to go back and catch-up with the banner story, but the colors are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tree trimmers sound a lot like the people from the power company who come round to trim the branches back from the power lines. No regard for what it may look like afterward, and sometimes it’s really awful. Hot sun streaming through the window would be a big problem for me too. Have to go back and catch-up with the banner story, but the colors are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry about that gorgeous plum tree

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhhh your poor trees! That wasn't a pruning, it was a butchering. Harumph. I hope they recover.

    ReplyDelete