Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Busy days


The days are just flying by to the point I dread looking at my date book.

Of course some of those days were lots of fun.
On the 16th, Norie and I met with my good friend, Shigeko to take in a museum exhibit.

Shegeko always finds outstanding exhibits to see and this one was excellent.

The  National Art Center, Tokyo hosted an exibition of "The Best Selection of the Ohara Museum of Art".

There were seven rooms filled with ancient art from Asia, going through early modern art from EL GRECO, Manet, Rodin, Degas, Renoir, Matisse, etc.

The collection had outstanding works and those of Japanese artists influenced by modern art.

I was also impressed with the large number and variety of viewers, all ages from young to old, canes and wheelchairs, jeans, fashionable, Fancy kimono, dress kimono ... both women and men ... dress suits and casual. Not a weekend, but the middle of the day and the middle of the week. Japanese and foreigners ...  good English descriptions in each room ... Definitely the highlight of the week.

Other events included a meeting of my old quilt group, Tokyo Merit Badge day ... First-class trail in the morning and collections merit badge in the afternoon. It is always fun to see what kind of things teenage boys collect and share their passion.

Sunday the choir sang two services with practice between and after and though there was a St. Paddy's parade, I was off to lunch with a friend. I was a bit disappointed not to get to meet up with the Tokyo Piping Society in which I was a member for many years.

The quilting is nearing the end on the baby quilt but I will need a guest bed shortly and the nine-patch blocks were all laid out on top. I was afraid if I didn't get those blocks together, I would have to put them back in the box and it would be ages before I could arrange them.

So, above is what I have made so far. The blocks are each only 6 inches square so it is obvious this size is too small for a bed. Now I will think whether I should make more blocks or  find some other way to increase the size. I have been thinking of making a border of nine-patches set on point. Maybe adding several borders using up more of my cut squares.... I really have not put much of a dent in my collection.

Well, the rest of the week is busy too, Choir sings for the Maundy Thursday service and our small choir is singing at the Good Friday Service, a beautiful piece, "Crucifixus" by Lotti, eight parts, and eight voices ... 2 parts for each section and I have the first tenor. This is the second time our small group has sung special music and I feel so blessed to be included.  Special Easter music will follow and then we will be busy with final plans for my husband's memorial service.



14 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful quilt and a lot of piecing. I think being busy is a good thing, I find the more I do, the more I get done and I still have time to relax and work on projects and I feel much better when I accomplish things, big or small. A guest quilt? Will someone be coming to visit with you?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful selected piece for the choir, and love that quilt, what about a narrow border in one colour, never mind if that is joined, then small strips like piano keys out from that? Just a thought. Memorial service, will there be singing as well? Thinking of you each day, with love and hoping you are well, and as I can see to be as busy as usual. Hugs from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that quilt top, so far. Busy is better than being bored, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh, you really are busy. I think busy is good. Most of the time I wish I had more hours in the day, and I cringe when I hear people complain they're bored. Lots of scrappy goodness in your nine patch quilt! I like how you color coded them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're keeping busy, my friend. It sounds like your days are full. Beautiful quillt you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is lovely to read that you are busy. It is good for the soul and the mind is kept occupied. Just imagine how boring it would be otherwise!
    Lovely to see the 9 patches all together. i do like the effect created by the different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went Ohara museum a long long time ago when I was probably less than ten. I do remember beautiful Kurashiki town but can't remember if the art impressed me or not. Great to see progress of your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie dear. Love the nine patch - use more squares, I say. Love the idea of nine patches on point. When are you planning Paul's memeorial. I arrive April 13.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do have an interesting and busy life. And you still find time for quilting - love that pattern with scraps and nine patches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you are keeping busy xx remember to put your feet up occasionally xx lol x it always seems that the more fabric you use the more there is in the box!!.. I think the "little people" bring it in during the night! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly are busy Julie, love your nine patch quilt. I was a Cub Scout Leader in my younger days, found part of my uniform the other day, brought back memories. Enjoyed reading about what you have been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie I've thought about you several times this week - I assumed you would be knee deep in music for Holy Week. I hope your Easter is filled with joyful memories. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Julie, your nine patch quilt turned out spectacularly ! The blocks are so nicely spaced apart, so that the eye can discern each block.
    It sounds as if you had a week filled with beautiful, inspiring, and uplifting music! We really enjoyed reading about the choir practice.
    Hugs and blessings always, from Marina and Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julie,
    I'm hoping to be in Tokyo from 17-22 April - I say hope because I've been fighting a terrible stomach bug picked up in Indonesia for 3 months so it is a bit touch and go at the moment.... but I'm looking forward to it and shall certainly try to find Nippori fabric town. We're staying in Ginza in Air BnB and I'm travelling with my 72 year old mother. I shall go back and trawl your blog for some tips!

    ReplyDelete