The year started and ended with table runners.
I had a tin of blocks made with holiday fabrics that I had used to make a small runner for my genkan above the shoe cupboard.
When Kimie was here, she pulled out some of the blocks and arranged them into a table runner.
This was mailed off to Oregon in March. (in plenty of time for this Christmas).
At the end of the year, I went back to those blocks and made a similar runner for a neighborhood friend.
That friend often leaves goodies at my door. I will come home or go out to find a bag of apples or a giant pear, or some other goodie in a bag hanging from my doorknob.
I put this together earlier in the week and took it with a note to hang at her door.
They look almost the same and the days inbetween seemed a lot the same too.
In March I finished an I-Spy quilt for a friend who has begun a NPO for teaching English to orphans and other children in care homes, hoping that having English skills might help them find jobs as they age out of the homes.
I think making a game of learning would take some of the pressure off. I put a pocket on the back with a couple of beanbags they might toss in a game.
In March I also finished a quilt I had made to donate to the church for raising money, hopefully to cover what I could no longer donate with my teaching job ending in mid February.
"My Tithe" was raffled off by the Outreach ministry throughout November and raised money for an orphanage our church supports as well as the homeless ministry.
Though the raffle was on line mostly, it did pretty well.
The family who won it was very happy. I had made them an I-Spy quilt when their youngest was born, and they sent me a video of that little guy playing I-Spy among the flower prints.
In early July I was asked to make something for a family who was leaving.
They had been very active running "Saturday Night Out". a once a month fun activity for members and families, with games, a dinner, and a study group/discussion while the children had some entertainment.
This had words of thanks within the design.
I didn't have a lot of time to come up with a plan.
In mid July I put the final stitches into my quilt "Staring Feed Sacks" I still have some unused feed sack prints and am thinking I would like to make another quilt using them. I liked this setting because it didn't cut the prints into small pieces. I am quite satisfied with the results and those prints bring back many memories of things made using those fabrics.
The month of August, I put together another I-Spy quilt.
This one for the new associate Pastor's family. I finished it August 27th in time for their arrival and two week quarantine. I made a set of cards to go with it with English on one side and Japanese on the other.
They have a young son and are expecting another child so I thought this might be a welcoming gift to greet them.
Meanwhile I had been working on small houses ... one for each day of virus confinement. Those were only 3"x 4" when finished, and going into a tin. It was a great way to use lots of small scraps.
I had plenty of time to think about what I would be doing with them.
Meanwhile, in October, I was asked to come up with a Stewardship Banner. This is the 11th year in a row that I have made one. The theme was selected and passed to me October 15th, It reminded me of my father making new roses by hybridising from seed. The hands were embroidered over a background pieced by light floral prints.
The hanging sleeve was added the 21st of October and I left it by the back door of the church when I went to pick up the onigiri for delivery to the homeless.
A laptop carrying case is still sitting in my entryway waiting for the US postal service to get its act together,
I made it for my daughter's birthday earlier in the summer, but the US is still not accepting anything other than letters,
The houses finally made it into a quilt.
This was finally finished last week.
Two of the houses are dedicated to friends who have passed away this year.
One, a longtime missionary in Japan, and mother-in-law to my eldest daughter.
The other a friend who contributed much of the fabrics used here.
this joined the table runner I had finished in November using extra houses,
SO ... here is the Coronaville pair, and yet the down time goes on.
Maybe I have enough of a reminder of those down days.
Still in the wings is my log cabin challenge ... moved aside when the Tokyo Dome Quilt show was cancelled.
I'm still thinking about what I want to make
My partnership block seems to have gone into a quilt. I think it was shown on TV but I didn't get to see it.
Meanwhile, Christmas has come and gone as just another day ... other than a group skype with the kids and a visit to my friend, Wally, at his senior home.
The past week has been spent trying to get my living area a bit better organized, and the dust removed more or less.
So, from my semi-tidy livingroom to yours, I send best wishes for a happy and productive New Year.