Saturday, November 7, 2020

Time flies

 


Having grown up in a home with a large garden, being surrounded by flowers was a given. It was one thing I missed most when coming to Tokyo where space is very limited.

My own garden is actually a "setback" and should my neighbor to the north rebuild, this area might be snatched up to widen the road. 

The large Japanese style house to the north has a huge garden and should the entire property be sold, like the property to the west of my house, it would likely be filled with four large houses with no space between. 

Each day, as I sweep the fallen leaves along my street, I give thanks for that garden, because without it's protection, my own little patch might be covered in concrete or asphalt. 

Another thing I have learned to appreciate is the way the plants bloom in an orderly fashion, not competing with each other, but coming out in their own time and season.

The season in my garden now is the "Hototogisu" or toad lily. These are all volunteers, coming up among the azalea hedges. They take their time, and unlike the spider lilies that burst out and fade in about a week, these open slowly and hang on long enough to enjoy.


Each day, more open and greet me and I like their calm beauty.



The spider lilies are long gone, but the leaves (short ones in the right front of the pot) have begun to come up.

The pineapple lily is now only a few wilted leaves to the left, but framed in the wire ring are more leaves and a tall bud building expectations. 

I don't even know where this one came from, but it seems to be a relative of the spiderlily. Last year the flower opened in December and lasted into the new year and the color was purple. 

There are a few pink and white spider lilies on the east side of the house, but those behave just like the red ones. Meanwhile I enjoy the freckled flowers and await the next show in line.




The extra houses have gone into a runner for my coffee table . They are now awaiting the border, as I am now sewing the dark swirly sky on to the main quilt. These will get the leftovers.

Guess which one was made for Halloween...

And which one for November 3rd....These little houses have been an interesting year-long adventure and there will be a lot to look back on when they are finished and in use.

 



6 comments:

  1. LOVE your flowers - and your houses! - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us hope that there will never be houses built on the land. Your volunteer flowers are so pretty, and as for your houses they are just so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mieszkam w domu z ogrodem na wsi i cieszę się z tego bardzo. Przyroda w ogrodzie pomaga żyć!
    Bardzo mi się podoba bieżnik, domki wokół wyglądają fantastycznie!
    Pozdrawiam serdecznie i życzę dużo zdrowia w tych ciężkich czasach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a flower like that striped one before. You'll have to make another patriotic house for Veteran's day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the opposite problem, too much space and it would cost a fortune to do it all, so I do it in sections. It is shame to keep shoving more people into a one home space, but you have kept your area nice with the clean ups and plantings. I think the houses, make a wonderful runner.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to remember a year... Covid and the election....

    ReplyDelete