Sunday, October 25, 2020

A new week has begun


 When I came to Japan in the early 60s, hardly anyone had ever heard of Halloween.

For the first time I can remember, I could sit at the table and enjoy a birthday dinner without jumping up to answer the trick-or-treaters at the door.

It wasn't till our few years in New Jersey that my kids got to dress up in costumes.




When we came back to Japan, the company paid for a large western style house in "Tokugawa Village", a compound of about 40 western style houses in Mejiro, mostly rented by ex-pat families.

Many kept the trick or treating tradition, but except for a few Japanese families, the children coming to the door were just that small part of the international community.




Spring forward about 40 years, and things have changed. 

Young people in Japan seem to love to dress in costumes, and here was a great chance to justify that activity. Now it is not just an activity of a bunch of foreigners. These pictures were taken less than a week ago on a trip to the dentist.

This apartment building is in an area with a number of foreign embassies and residents and international schools. I don't know if foreigners live there, but for the past few years, the decorations have become more and more profuse.

The 100 yen shop about ten minutes walk away had Halloween items for sale out front before the end of September.

Last year, as I went for onigiri delivery in Shibuya, the streets and crosswalks were crammed with young adults celebrating in costume.

Since my delivery schedule falls at the end of a weekend, around 5:am, I will probably get a good view of the way things are going.
By the way, these young people don't seem much worried about the virus and maybe only a third are wearing masks, (and about half of those, on their chins).
There probably won't be a parade this year, but I'll bet there will be plenty of costumed dogs walking by our church. Halloween seems to be here to stay.


Sunday I delivered the Stewardship banner to church, as well as the I-Spy quilt made for the new pastor's family. I think they will be arriving very soon and it might be good to have something to play with while two weeks in quarantine, especially with a two-year-old to entertain.

Now I can go back to focus on my Coronaville.  I added a row of houses along the first border. Not a very clear picture but that row will be the next round ... three more sides to go. Then I will have to figure out where all the leftover houses will go. Another round? The backside? This is becoming a very interesting neighborhood. At least a few of them got their day in the sun.

6 comments:

  1. The two quilt will be appreciated by their new homes soon.
    Your village is growing into a mega city! The border - suburbs - will be a good frame for the quilt.

    I have seen a few Christmas illuminations and decorations in my area, but nothing that reflects Halloween, nor have I seen any children nearby who go trick-or-treating. THIS year of course all festivities of all kinds are being shelved, and any street party in Shibuya will be stopped. Instead they shopkeepers of Shibuya are organising a virtual Halloween: https://www.moshimoshi-nippon.jp/363880

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those decorations are more elaborate than the ones we have here in the U.S.! I want to say I wish they were available here, but it wouldn't matter, since I wouldn't be willing to pay for them. Your quilt is growing wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suburbs! - you're funny! Your quilt is wonderful - very cheerful in these weird times. Those Halloween decorations are better than some I've seen around my neighborhood - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really do throw themselves into the Halloween decorating. The children would love it.
    Well done delivering your quilt for the new family. And getting the banner delivered too.
    I am pleased you can now get back to your houses. The neighbourhood is growing quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing Halloweeny going on around my part of Japan... I was the only one who ever put up any decorations and I don't do that any longer because I'm not teaching children anymore. Your Coronaville is looking great! You have such patience and are so speedy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never did much decorating for Halloween. I do like giving candy to the kids. Happy Birthday! The houses are looking great!

    ReplyDelete