Thursday, January 18, 2018

Next on the list


  • Somehow this went to the family blog.  I guess I need to pay better attention when writing a post.
    Jan 18 at 3:29 PM

    Coming up the first weekend in February, is the Women's Conference... WOCON.

    For the last few years I have taught a quilting basics class where the participants can make a small pot holder or mug-rug and learn the basics of piecing, basting, quilting and binding.

    This year I am thinking of something like a drop-in class covering applique and needlework or simple embroidery.

    The theme is "Changing with the Seasons", and after discussions with the planners, we are thinking of having participants select fabrics for seasons they love best and applique a leaf on the tree of life.

    This is about one day's work ... but I sat through a loooong meeting last night which moved things along. I am kind of thinking of a border to represent each season.

    Today Norie took some pictures of my vest.

    Usually I wear a light down vest around the house but I think this one is a bit warmer.
    (Maybe it is all the dog hair it has picked up in the process).
















    I think when time allows, I will add a bit more quilting around the owl's tail, otherwise I am satisfied.

    The thinsulate is intended for use in clothing and is what I most often use in quilts.

    It is a bit tacky but, though it makes it a bit hard to line up the front and back for basting (unless you have extra hands to place the top), For all the quilts I have used it, it never pills or shifts and washes well... even when the quilting is widely spaced.

    I once heard that 3M was going to make quilt battings but that may never have happened. I just take it off the bolt and if needed, whip the edges together to make it larger. 

16 comments:

  1. What a work of art! Enjoy wearing it and keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vest is gorgeous. You should be proud of the work you put into it.
    Becca G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I want to go to the show with you - we won't be able to see anything, as you will be stopped every minute to pose with your beautiful waistcoat! No, just joking! It will be fun to see all those visitors at the show flocking around you.
    Yes, thinsulate is ment for clothing and perfect for your Mola waistcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great vest! I don't think it is tacky. Have fun wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3M did make batting and have went through couple of bolts. Don't know if it ever went to market (meaning selling to public) or if it was just a trial for them. I liked what I used for the most part. It was however more poofy batting, but maybe there was thinner kind too. I have not heard about them and their batting recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vest is a winner, love it all, and the pocket is a perfect size. The tree, this is a wonderful idea, and so doable in a day class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The class sounds fun and a nice way to learn techniques, as well as, having something nice to hang in their home.
    I absolutely love your vest and the work you have done on it, not tacky, a beautiful piece of wearable art.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, your vest is stunning ! What a fabulous piece of wearable art! We know you will get many, many compliments on it. The mola motifs turned out beautifully. Congratulations on completing this wonderful project. We love it ! Blessings to you, from Marina and Daryl Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, many congratulations on your Mola vest : it is really great and suits you very nice !!! What a great job you made !!! it is fantastic !!
    I can't wait to see what you arr doing with you new project on the different seasons :)
    Wishing you a lovely week-end,
    Blessings,
    Isa

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great .. and if it is keeping you warm .. then its a winner x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finish with your vest. Lovely to see you modelling it with the help of Nikko. I hope it does keep you warm.
    Your idea for the tree sounds interesting. A border for each season throws up a lot of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The vest is amazing. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your vest is BEAUTIFUL!! I agree with Queenie - if you wear it to the conference - or anywhere else - you will be stopped every minute as people admire your handwork. You may not get anything done on those days - but you will surely meet a lot of nice people - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is a VEST! Gorgeous! You will be the talk of the conference.

    ReplyDelete