Wednesday, April 18, 2018

It's on the fence


Yesterday I sewed the last row in place.

It was gusty and growing dark, so I took a chance that the morning would be better for a photo shoot.

Well, it is still windy  ... especially the section of the fence with sunshine on it.

I decided the back fence would work better, even in the shade.

At this point, the size is 59" x 79".
I could hardly reach the top links of the fence to place the clips.
This could easily fit my bed without adding more ... but then, most people don't sleep on a semi-single futon.

Anyway, now I am thinking of what kind of border to add.

With all these one inch pieces, I am thinking the first border needs to be only one color and at least two inches wide.

I have been thinking of using some of the many 2x2 inch blocks with some of the leftover purplish-black mixed in, and then a solid outer border of the same as the first. My thinking is maybe purple or turquoise. I have yet to check my stash. Many of the fabrics came to me from friends or people leaving the country. Some scraps seem to have been chopped up with a purpose but that is a mystery to me. some have been sewed and then chopped into blocks.

Then, again, I look at this picture and think the border needs to be more calming to contain all these wild scraps. I really don't want to buy any fabric so that might be a challenge, though I might be able to piece a single color to get wider border strips.

Another challenge is ironing all those seams. Ironing one block sometimes un-irons the neighboring one. At least sewing by hand gives me a choice.....  I am not even thinking of the quilting part!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Julie ! Wow ! Your quilt is beautiful ! All the bright colors just make it twinkle and sparkle so nicely! Good for you for getting that clipped up on the fence so well. That is not easy to do. We agree that a solid outer border would be perfect. Can't wait to see what color you choose !
    Your work is awesome, and we are sending many congratulations and hugs for a project very well done !
    Love and blessings, from Marina and Daryl Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is beautiful, love all the colors with the darks. I think a solid would be nice, thinner and then a large one around that?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at this fantastic flimsy against the wire net and green metal frame of the fence, I think you already have an idea for the border - something in a solid calm colour, grey?, and then a binding in an accent colour anything bright from the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt top. Yes, solid, pieced then another solid border would be great on that quilt. It would give the eyes places to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. It looks like jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you sew, Julie! Fantastic. Love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are going to be bright and cheerful .. as well as toasty and warm x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is looking great! It has grown so quickly.
    I do agree that a simple and plain first border would work really well.
    Good luck with your selection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete