Tuesday, February 18, 2020

More Tokyo Dome quilts ... part 3




As I have mentioned before. other than prize winners, the only quilts that have the quilter's name posted in roman lettering are those made by 60 or so "well known" quilters and teachers.

This quilt, using a lot of "Japanese Taupe" was made by Osami Gonohe

It is called  "Snow Dome" and besides the number of scenic domes, there are lots of cute snow people lined up around the borders.















The title of this is "Japanese Patterns".

It was made by Kumiko Fujita and if you look closely there is a lot of variety among those red and white blocks ... A sumo wrestler, lanterns, demons, daruma, kimono, fish, flags, cat, teapot, and many more items.
















How about these soccer playing bunnies?

Usually the rabbit in the moon is busily pounding mochi but his attention seems to be diverted by the game in progress.


The title is "Tokyo 2020 Kickoff"

Made by Miwako Mogami













"Fujin - Raijin Wind God and Thunder God"

By Toko Sekita


A lot of work must have gone into this one...


















"The Universe"

by Fumiko Nakayama


Lots and lots of detailed reverse applique in this one.
















"Design with Lilies"

by Sachiko Yoshida.

I see a lot of leaves but the lilies are well hidden among all those colorful scraps.



















"Let's sing together"

by Asako Maeda



With all those frogs, I wonder what the song would sound like? It might remind me of my house with a pond so long ago...









"Tokyo Winter" by Yoshiko Kurihara


"Eternity" by Keiko Morita


And a few of the winners ... this one "Kawaii" by Rumiko Oiwa.
I don't know how this one was picked as I saw many more that caught my eye.


The title was in Japanese ... "Winter flowers" by Hiroko Tamai
Yes, a lot of fine detail but it seems the judges liked rather mild quilts.


More color in this second place quilt by Takako Oikawa called "Great Romantic"


And the grand prize went to this one by Sumiko Nagami ... Title in kanji had something about rain.




And, walking through the displays, I met this owl.

(actually there were a number of owls perched on shelves here and there)













And, of course, being the "year of the rat" there were a number of these little critters as well.
Had it not been for the tails, I could have mistaken them for rabbits with those long ears.


And now, with the lunar New Year having passed, it is time for me to roll up this little hanging ...
one of the first quilted items I made after getting married and coming to Tokyo.
I think I found a "kit" in the local department store. 
Not much like that fancy red and white one, but just as typically Japanese.

8 comments:

  1. THANKS for sharing with us, dear Julie !... and I just LOVE your first quilt, so cute :)
    xoxo
    Nadine

    The quilt I most remember is the one with different applique blocks in which you had to catch the different item in each. Oh, that quilt is hauting my mind and I Wonder if, in all modesty I could attempt in making one. I just love the idea. Very inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts at the Tokyo Dome show are always AMAZING!! This year is no exception - thanks for sharing!! - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these, Julie! I like Tokyo Winter the best, but like Nadine, I also thought about making that numbers quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! There are a couple here I swear I didn't see, if that is possible! The Tokyo Winter really was a great looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the footballing rabbits and the frog choir! I was drawn especially to the graphic people of Tokyo Winter. Interesting that one of your your commentators liked that too. I feel I always recognise Japanese quilts at shows because they so distinctive. Makers really go the extra mile!! Thank you so much for sharing. Mary currently in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the quilt show. The frog choir was cute. Ribbit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Julie. Lovely to see big pictures!
    I like the Lily one and Eternity. The use of colour is fantastic!
    I think the title for the grand winner was melody of healing rain. I remember clearly because google translate someone put on Facebook was catastrophic! Yes we use same Japanese word for melody/music and investigation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen your embroidery blog image you are doing beautiful work and made style great love the fabrics for your quilt. How's it going?

    ReplyDelete