Friday, July 3, 2020

bits and pieces

Little by little things are getting checked off my list,

The feedsack quilt is all quilted in the border. I still have to add something in the more empty areas, put feelers on the butterflies, and make yoyos for the flower centers. Then add the binding.

Meanwhile, lest I fall too far behind, I have gone back to my "must do" list.
First was something for my birthday girl. (Our family draws names for Christmas and Birthdays, and this year I got #4 daughter, Kimie. ) She wanted a blue and white carrying cover for her laptop. Luckily her device is the same as mine so mine offered to sit as a model.

I dug out all my yukata scarps, turning all the space I had spent tidying into a mess.

This is what I came up with.

Last week I found a tenugui with the three comma crest. I added the triangles that makes it the same as the Fukuda family crest.

I thought Kimie might like the daruma with the"fuku" kanji and the beckoning cat.







I used a dark, rather traditional print for the lining.

I was thinking of adding a tie to be wrapped around a button but when I was going through my button collection to find something that would work, I came across the button in the shape of bamboo.

I decided to add a loop of elastic and that long button.





Below is a view of the back side with my laptop posing underneath.

I am thinking of making a drawstring bag to hold the cord and plug-in fixture.





This was a fun project and I spent the better part of the week laying out the scraps and sewing them together.

The binding was mostly stab-stitched to make it strong with many small stitches through a rather thick batting.

My other item on the to-do list was my block for the partnership quilts.
The deadline to make it to its destination is the end of the month ... and I can't say mail delivery is running smoothly or quickly.


The theme selected is "Love the Earth".

I really dithered over this one. Finally I dug out a background fabric with a map print and put my Ohio Cardinal over the center.

I'm not sure the background sets it off well, but stuck in a random fashion among 59 other blocks, who is going to notice?

Now I only have to fill out the form and get this into the mail. Maybe tomorrow ...

Time then to check in with Marie, who is my Christmas giftee, and see if there is something I might make for her. Judging how long it took for the koinobori to fly off to Oregon, there won't be a lot off time for dithering,


12 comments:

  1. Down here, we are told in any online order " There will be delays in delivery dates" .Lovely laptop cover, those blues are beautiful and the flap piece, you chose that with great care. The cardinal, he will sing with joy, perching there, it is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - both of them!! You always come up with amazing projects - thank you for sharing - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the laptop cover, beautiful. Great square with your cardinal, where did you find the map fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement. That print was among scraps that I was recently "gifted" from a friend who was making room for a relative in what had been her sewing room. Sometimes I don't have to find fabric ... it finds me instead.

      Delete
  4. I don't do quilts but I admire your blog: your craftsmanship, interesting family, japanese culture, the plants in their little corners, the amount you give back with scouting and keeping your neighborhood/city tidy. I especially like the idea of your musubi runs. I'm a rice ball lover and if I was ever down and out, nothing would cheer me up more. More to the point today--what are yo-yos in quilting.? Your fellow quilters would all know but I keep wondering: is it a symbol; an efficient way of bettering quilt construction or is a yo-yo just a picture of a yo-yo? Thank you for this blog! Hope you continue for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you are a "no reply" blogger.Yo-yos are a technique out of the past, made with little gathered circles. These days old and almost forgotten techniques begin to reappear and these days those yo-yos can be made into fancy embellishments... even with the shape of flowers, and there are gadgets that make it easier than in the past.

      Delete
    2. Sorry Julie. If this is a rebuke, I have no idea how I chose to be a "no reply" blogger. My computer skills are weak so I choose different options each time. By-the-way, where in the archives are the descriptions of your nigiri runs? Would like to read about them again. Thanks!
      Be safe. Here in Hawaii, the numbers are going up & the safest places might be on a surf board way out in the break--no joke and nice visual, right?

      Delete
  5. It's a brilliant laptop case Julie! Love how you incorporated the family crest. I'm always on the lookout for David's. Ahhhhh if I'm going to do a Partnership block I'd better get started.... Your cardinal is striking and carries an important message it its beak. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lap top cover is delightful. The colours are lovely.
    I like the bird block. I think it works well.
    SOmetimes, like you, I need a to do list to keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for getting some projects finished! I've started on the Partnership and it will be a race of time to see if I get it finished in time... Mine is going to be so unimaginative... And is there even going to be a quilt festival next year? Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blue and white prints and think your laptop cover is striking.

    ReplyDelete