Monday, July 13, 2020

Playing with yoyos


Well, these are not the ones that swing around on strings...

I got a plastic yoyo maker (sold by clover) that makes the process fairly easy once I figured out the right-handed pictures that went with the instructions.

The device comes in three sizes and I wondered if I should have gotten the smaller one, but now these are in place, I think they will be OK.



So far I am using gingham and polka dot fabrics.

When I made the blocks, I picked up two colors from the feedsack print to make the setting star.
I am now trying to get a balance of those colors in the border.

The flower petals are made from small feed sack scraps.

I put the binding on when I was halfway through quilting the larger empty spaces in the border.
The backing was getting in the way while quilting, and since the border was basted anyway,  the binding in place sped up the process considerably.  Now I am thinking I might just take this WIP upstairs with me at night and sleep under it. But then again, that might be dangerous to the finishing process with diminished incentives.
Anyway, I can't take a picture of the finish quilt in all this rain ... so ... may as well keep on playing with yoyos....

7 comments:

  1. So sweet. I just love yoyo's but never quite figured out what to do with them. I used to make yoyo clowns, but got tired of that. I saw a magazine pattern where they made yoyo's and appliqued them to a background strip and then sewed the strips together vertically and it made a really cute quilt. I may have to get a set of those yoyo makers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yo-yos are such a nice touch. I say why not put the quilt to use now;). I often bind a quilt before it's quite finished - somehow it makes finishing up the quilting even more of a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yo-yos are a lovely idea and work welll in the border. They are a delightful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yo-yos are beautiful additions to the flowers. They will make the border even more interesting. You once told me you used to trace patterns and quilting lines with your finger when as a child you had to take a midday nap. If you put the quilt to use right away, you can do just that.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yoyos are a delightful touch. I think using it now will be an added incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY cute ! Your quilt will be amazing, Julie...
    I have always wanted to make a whole Yoyos quilt. I just love making these, yet I'm making them "the old fashion ways". I've tried those yoyo devices... well, not so funny for me. Anyway, the main thing is having fun, no matter which way :) In the meantime, I'm keeping all leftover scraps for that yoyos quilt... some day.
    In stitches,
    xoxoxo
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice! I have yet to use that clover yo-yo maker but friends seem to really like them. (I heard there is a yo-yo maker that even makes the FLOWER part too!)

    ReplyDelete