Monday, January 14, 2019

Back to work

Last year the Women's Conference theme was the seasons of our lives. I put together this tree surrounded by strips of fabric representing fall, winter, spring, and summer, thinking it might be fun to have members add leaves. As can be seen, it was not a popular free-time activity.

Though it was suggested I bring it back this year and make another try, I decided to re-purpose the tree and make an I-Spy quilt for my new granddaughter. Daughter of two naturalists (and one an avid birder) I have selected kid-friendly prints that are nature related. Well, there are lots of animals.


I am now working on the last three rows of blocks. Then I will add birds to the tree and maybe a few animals or flying critters? Maybe a variety of leaves? Then a bit of borders to tie it all together.
The prints are all 4"x4" with 1" sashing and small 1' cornerstones. 

Phoebe's big brother is a good talker and I think he can play I-Spy to teach his baby sister new words.

This was his baby quilt.

And I heard that his first word was "owl".

I still have work to do on the piecing, but the blocks are measured, cut, and arranged in baggies for take-along work so should go fairly quickly.

Appliquéing critters in the center will be a bit of a challenge. I have some good bird prints and am thinking of cutting them more simply and hanging them in the tree like ornaments instead of trying to sew around tiny feathers and beaks.

I have yet to search my stash for a border. I wonder if there is any left of that bamboo print on Ryden's quilt border. Also maybe a narrow sashing of the same dark green that borders the tree block.

Nothing like planning step-by-step!

I hope all my blogging friends are off to a fine new year.

23 comments:

  1. Nice idea for repurposing the tree. I think adding creatures will be so cute. Your quilts are one of a kind and I’m sure they are loved by the young recipients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger stopped sending comments to my e-mail and I have yet to figure out how to fix it. The bottom rows are now on and a few more birds are finding the tree branches.

      Delete
  2. It is looking great already, but will be even better with a lot of interesting leaves and creatures in the tree.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree looks terrific surrounded by all of those blocks! And I remember that owl quilt - it's a beauty! I think that planning "as you go" is a lot more fun than having it all mapped out beforehand. It seems to be more creative to make your decisions along the way - you have the freedom to change it at any time - ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter sent me a pattern in a book and I want to try it but it will be hard to make it sticking to the pattern.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun quilt to me and one that I am sure will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to get this done by the time Phoebe starts talking, but since my kids were talking by 6 months, I had better keep busy.

      Delete
  5. Your tree is lovely, especially with all the blocks surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lower rows are now added and a few more birds. I'm still thinking of what will work on the borders while adding birds to the tree.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to repurpose the quilt and it will be a wonderful keepsake for your granddaughter.
    I made something similar in a challenge, but i used wools and fraktur style animals and birds, you can see it here.
    https://woolnsails.blogspot.com/2009/09/quilt-challenge.html

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the first birds came from some bird fabric. I am still thinking about the style of other things I might add. Leaves are easier and safer but critters would be much more fun.

      Delete
  7. Great use for that tree. Now it will get used. Looks like it will be a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is slowly getting things added, but the tree still looks a bit bare. Gotta get busy!

      Delete
  8. it is so great when we can keep fabric and thread in the rotation ... and re-purpose for someone who will love the finished project x Hope you are keeping warm and well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't have room for things sitting around, and that tree needed to be planted somewhere else. Slowly the birds are finding spots on the branches and maybe the leaves will begin to sprout. When I looked at my weather app in the morning, it predicted sun by noon. I went back and checked again when the sun did not appear and it is now predicting rain by evening. If it lies about the sun, I hope the rain is a lie too. I guess I should be glad I am not living still in Ohio.

      Delete
  9. I SPY quilts are always fun and your pretty tree is a great focal point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have added the birds before sticking on all those I-spy blocks. Anyway, it is moving along, and seeing the appliqued birds from the same fabric at the quilt show, (Ueno-san's quilt) I think I will add more. then maybe some bright leaves.

      Delete
  10. That owl quilt is incredible, are you hand piecing all of your quilts? I’m so glad to see you’re still posting (I found you from the tenugui one) do you live in japan? Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Grace. Yes, Tokyo is my home with no plans for moving. Much of my work is take-along, therefore all pieced and quilted by hand. The owl quilt was just planned out on graph paper and a good way to use up some scraps. The grandson's parents are both naturalists, working in the forests of the North West ... among other things, banding owls.

      Delete
  11. Fun idea for your tree quilt. The little ones will enjoy looking for all the critters. The owl is super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like inter-active quilts, as it was, as a child I made games of vintage quilts when I was supposed to be napping. Who can sleep when there is something to look at?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great repurposing the tree - I'm sure she will adore it all her life. Love the owl, your quilts are always so cleverly done. Happy weekend ahead my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom, can't wait to see the baby quilt complete! We took the baby girl birding to see the eastern bluebirds here in Portland, the ones her mama wanted to see the weekend she went to the hospital to give birth to your newest grandchild instead. Is there space on a branch for an eastern bluebird on the quilt?

    ReplyDelete