Friday, March 22, 2019

Done with "ditching"

It is amazing how life seems to get in he way. I had always thought that as I got older, things would quiet down and I would have more time to work quietly on my projects. Well, either I was wrong or I am not old enough yet.

Spring is slowly moving in. We have had cold rainy days with windy sunny days mixed in.

The plum blossoms opened all the way to the tips of the branches and these days I am sweeping up the dark pink snow from out front.

As I walk to the station most days along this quiet street,
I have seen the magnolias open one by one ... starting on the left side toward the far end (where it gets most sun), and moving up the block to where I stand with my camera at the train crossing.

At the far end, in front of the apartment building, the tall square hedge of photinia has turned red on the south side facing the street and still has green on each end that is in the shade.


With today's wind, some of the magnolia flowers at the far end have been dropping petals, while at the end near the crossing, the blooms are just reaching full bloom.

I am so glad that this past winter the tree trimmers left the buds.
... well, they did manage to cut off all the buds on the dogwoods so we won't be seeing much there.







Along my narrow street, this small garden area which is usually all weeds, got a bit of cleaning over the winter and what were just a few daffodils has expanded. Now there is a whole row along the street.



Seeing these in bloom, I went around the house to check on mine. Yep, they are in bloom too. I hope they will multiply as generously as these have.










My neighbor to the north has camellias peeping over his wall. 
From last week I am sweeping up those petals blown into my front walk.

    
The pink sweet daphne is dropping it's flowers but the white ones are taking their turn in the flower bed.

I notice buds on the maples beginning to swell, and, though friends are posting pictures of cherry trees in bloom, our area is still far behind.

The star magnolia in the park is very pretty and the fuzzy bud casings are covering the ground.

The neighbor's hydrangea is getting ready to leaf out.
Today was warm enough to go out and sweep wearing just a light jacket. Soon dog hair will be wafting through the house.

Even with a very busy schedule, I have managed to complete all the in-the-ditch quilting on Phoebe's quilt. I am considering leaving the four-inch I-Spy squares un-quilted. The thinsulate I used for batting will not shift and I rather like those slightly puffy blocks. I will next be quilting the inner and outer borders. Then I want to add leaves to the tree and a flying phoebe in the larger space.

Yesterday began the spring break so I might have a wee bit more time ... however, last week I rescued some fabrics from the sewing room of a friend who needs to make room to care for an elderly relative. I must be out of my mind, as there was a lot more fabric than I can ever use. I have slowly been sorting, ironing the tangled mess, and folding into piles. I have cut some of the odd scraps into usable squares to sort into tins. I can see a feed-sack quilt in the future but dealing with this will be a continuing challenge. I am also thinking of making kits for a beginning quilting class. As I only buy fabric as needed, it blows my mind that someone would buy so much without a use other than to stack in piles.

Meanwhile, choir goes on with several small choir practices beyond the usual ones. Scout events continue and I have a coming OA Vigil to take part in. I am enjoying helping with a group quilt for Nishimachi International school.  Tomorrow is Leia's birthday. We had a nice gathering yesterday and I expect there will be a second gathering to celebrate my SIL's birthday early next month.
At least I am not likely to suffer from boredom!

9 comments:

  1. Flowers in Nerima are way ahead of ours in Shinagawa. We do have some beautiful camellias, though.
    So you have more fabric to make more quilts with! They speed you quilt you will soon start another project and take a bite into that new stash.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I have a sense that you are in the minority, at least here in America, just buying fabric as you need it. We are a consumeristic bunch! Since I am so frugal, I don't find myself buying much fabric, but when people are giving away their scraps, they often to look to me as a willing recipient. One man's trash is another man's treasure, right? Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you make with your new stash of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day I went to two local quilt shops to ask for scraps so I can make some green and white Healing Heart blocks for the families affected at the Christchurch Mosque tragedy. One shop, not even a scrap could be spared, guess I would have had to buy them. The second, a bag already waiting with so many fabric samples stapled together and other oddments. A huge pile that has been washed, ironed and ready to cut,.AND, when I asked would they like the pieces back that I could not use, they said no,So I have some that will be passed on to other quilters. Your spring blossom and daffs, a sure sign that seasons continue no matter what disaster or sadness is in our lives. Enjoy the birthday celebrations. Life in retirement, every day seems to have less hours for me, or does everything just take a bit longer ? .Hugs to you and yours XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely o read about the flowers and trees in your neighbourhood. I am in Madeira and visited the Palheiro gardens yesterday where there are blossoms all year round, currently camellias and magnolias but also proteas and exotics from all over the world. Lots of lilies too - wonder what will have emerged at home when I return to the UK next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your days seem filled with pleasant activities. It must be joyous to see Spring finally beginning to bud. How lovely the Magnolias and Blossom trees are and there is nothing cheerier than a little plot of golden Daffodils. It is always exciting to go through another's stash of fabric and see what they have. Enjoy your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My stash would scare you to death. I did give away several yards the other day, since I know I wouldn't ever use that fabric (some of it given to me). Now it will be used for kids charity quilts. A win win for everyone. No blooms here. It's still too early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pleasure it must be to see all the wonderful blooms as you walk along the street.
    Good luck sorting the fabric and have a great week with all your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Julie, thank you for this account of the beginning of spring in your neighbourhood. I'm from France. My mum's camellia has started blooming too. I'm visiting her today. I'll make sure to check on its progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to see and hear from you again Julie! My friends and I were just talking about you and your wonderful Ainu patterned jacket you made and wore to the Tokyo quilt show. My friend had just gone up to Hokkaido and been to an Ainu clothing museum and she remembered seeing your poncho on my blog.

    You sure have more flowers and color in Tokyo than we have in Nikko yet!

    ReplyDelete