Wednesday, May 18, 2022

A small finish

Another I-Spy quilt for a new church baby.  This did not take long to piece because I had a tin of four-inch blocks already cut. Sashing strips needed to be made, but by this past Sunday, the border had been added. I went shopping for batting on my way home from church. I am very sorry that thinsulate is no longer  in local shops, because I like it best. Yuzawaya had an assortment of samples I could choose from, but only two were large enough for this quilt. My first choice was not available but they might be able to order it. Well, how long might that take? I decided to buy the higher loft, just right at 150cm x 125cm. polyester 92% rayon 8%, and unlike the rest  of what they had, was not "iron on". (KSP-120-NP) and the bag says "Owl's Mama". 

Anyway, I found it a bit thick and hard to quilt through. I think my stitches were around five to the inch, and the resulting finish is a lot puffier than I usually get. Of course the baby getting this will not be comparing it with other of my quilts.

 

Now, all I need to do is add a label and find a bag to put it in. Sunday I will pass it to  its new owner or leave it in the office for the family to pick up.

The rest of the week I will plan the leaves for the 150th anniversary signature quilt.  I figure that if I make them oval and pointed at both ends, I will be able to arrange them either left or right on the vine.

The day started out quite sunny and nice. It was warm and had been predicted to get warmer, but by the time I went to the park for a photo shoot, it became cloudy and windy with a slight chill. I sure am glad my job is not predicting the weather!

11 comments:

  1. just lovely, I think that is my favourite and best sort of quilt for a baby. Lots of colour and pattern for baby to enjoy. Also for the mum as she may have to nurse and cuddle baby in it if it is unwell. Irene from N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect, colours, perfect puffiness and your quilting, this is just right as Irene says for Mum and Baby too. Weather, down here a tornado a little way south of us, snow further North, we have rain and cold winds. Luckily the fire is lit, coffee made, and snug inside. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful baby quilt! I especially love the hearts that you quilted in the border - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha! Predicting the weather must be a real challenge for anyone with the rapidly changing conditions.
    Oh, I do like your quilt. It might be a bit puffy but for a baby that can’t be all bad, can it?
    I also had trouble finding the batting I was looking for the last time I went to Yuzawaya. Maybe they have had problems with deliveries during the pandemic and rising fuel costs.
    Have fun with the leafy border.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby may like it puffy and soft though I had a go with 4oz batting lately but had to give up and pull it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect baby quilt! What a nice thing for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a sweet quilt and a lovely finish. Glad you were able to find batting that you could use. There still seem to be quite a few things that are not in stock in many places. A beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another sweet baby quilt - what a gift for a new baby! I have always wanted to start a stash for "i-spy" and I just never did. I think the puffier batting might be just fine - it's a cute fun look and will be light and warm, and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely quilt, and I am sure the family will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting shows up well with that batting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and such a lot of work! The quilting really stands out even with the patterned fabric. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete