Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quake+3weeks

Three weeks ago my bag was packed with things needed for the running of Pack 51's Pinewood Derby that evening. Even before I had a chance to clean up the resulting mess from the quake, news came that trains had been stopped and the event had been cancelled. The following day's Scouting event at St. Mary's School, including Pack 15's Derby, was also soon cancelled but we were told not to worry as we could run our Derby's during the District event on April 2nd. Well, the Japan District staff has fled to Okinawa and all the District events are cancelled or left up in the air. My car has yet to run. So, too, are the cars made by the Cubs in my unit. Our Pack held a rough-cut day in which those with tools brought them to help the boys make basic cuts on their cars. Our Pack does this to help and encourage the boys to make their own cars. We also include an open competition for parents and siblings (and leaders). I tell the dads to make their own cars and race against me... and IF they beat me I'm sure to hear about it for years. Well, the last time I saw my Cubs they were holding some great cars and I was so looking forward to seeing the finished results. My own little car is in derby limbo wondering how fast it might be.

With much more free time I have been working steadily on the wedding quilt ... well now anniversary quilt?... for my friend. Plodding slowly around the border, there is not really much to show. I decided instead to share another piece of my quilting heritage. This quilt pictured here was made by my mother. She also made quilts for each of her grandchildren for their second birthday but this quilt was made specially for me. When my mother told me she wanted to make me a quilt I was allowed to pick the design and the fabric. The design I chose was "Storm at Sea", even as a kid it was one of my favorites. The color??? , blues and greens have always been my favorites so why the heck did I go for pink! I remember as if it were yesterday going to the store and picking out those pink fabrics somehow thinking something like that would make me feel more feminine than the skinny homely kid I saw in the mirror, dressed in hand-me-downs from my bigger and less skinny cousins. The quilt was a very long time in the making, begun in the 50s and probably was quilted by some church group in the early 60s. The blocks are 8 inches and the size is 80 x 87 inches. I might add that it is much used and loved.

With four daughters it is not likely the quilt story will end here and both my sisters are quilters. At age four I began to sew for my dolls so it is never too early to catch the bug. Could the last picture be part of the next generation of quilters? Leia gives it a try just before her third birthday. With this kind of help I might have a picture to post in another week.

8 comments:

  1. Leia is georgous! And so serious about quilting (like Grandma). Making great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous. She is concentrating so hard. With a start like this, Leia is bound to remain interested. How wonderful to share quilting with a grand daughter. By the way, is there nothing you can't turn your hand to? derby cars? I look forward to more disclosures in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its the most wonderful experience to teach your grandchild something you learned from your mother or grandmother. Just like thread, it's that continuous line of knowledge.
    Its so good to hear there is some normalicy to your life Julie with the terrible events happening in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that car Julie! And I especially love the quilt your mother made. I have one mother made just for me but it's a bowtie pattern done in blues. It stays on a bed all the time! Leia is precious and surely a quilter-in-the-making. It's good to hear from you. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous quilt Julie. It so wonderful that you have kept it all these years.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt, I love Storm at Sea too but what a time consuming design! No wonder it took a while to make but how wonderful that you love it still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie. Love the pictures in your blog. I keep thinking of you all over there and hope that those pinewood derby cars will run again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little granddaughter is so dainty! I like the Storm at Sea quilt - it manages to be surprisingly restful. - regards Mary

    ReplyDelete