Monday, September 18, 2017

The joys of getting old?

Today is a holiday, but it might be hard to know it.

When I took the train to work, it was slightly less crowded than usual but that is all relative as the seats were completely occupied by the youngest and fastest as usual ... and even though the "holiday" was Respect for the Aged Day, even the silver seats ... reserved for the old and handicapped were filled with young people staring at their devices, or reading comics or sleeping with ear-buds on.
I doubt any of them would even look up to see if their might be some senior standing in front of them.

It was the same coming home, except the silver seats were being used by families with elementary school age kids spreading all over. I think I saw one elderly gentleman sitting there trying to ignore the kids bouncing up and down next to him.

It was a long day and I came in tired and thinking ... what should I have for dinner? Then the phone rang and it was my neighbor wanting to deliver red rice from the neighborhood association to celebrate those old folks in the neighborhood.



This is what came in the package.

Rather pretty with a set of festive chopsticks.














And here it is ... packed in a thin wooden box.

Red rice is made using red beans and it is sprinkled on top with toasted sesame seeds.
It is eaten on festive occasions.
There is no way I can eat this much.

Maybe I could make rice balls for tomorrow's lunch ... or maybe share some with Nikko ...
After all, 14 is rather aged for a big dog.




And, while I am thinking about getting old,

How long has it been since you have seen an infant in a playpen.

In fact, I wonder if anyone today even knows what a playpen is.

Back in the days when my kids were small, it was the thing that kept them safe until they were big enough to know it would hurt falling from the top of the piano ...
or that they might get burned pulling the oven opened.

When I was folding and putting away the laundry this past week, this is what I found on the bottom of a storage drawer.

The last kid to use this playpen pad has big kids reaching for their teens.

Appliqued and embroidered with places for the toy cars and trains to run, it is plain to see that it got a lot of use ... probably made in the mid 60s when we got the folding wooden playpen. I remember also how nicely that item kept the toys all corralled. After spending many hours last week tidying and cleaning for guests, I am thinking that now I am the one who needs a playpen to keep my sewing stuff from spreading all over the house ... well if the house had more space, it would be something  called a "sewing room".
(and if I can't find a place to sit, it will be my own fault for piling things on the chairs.) Oh well, the holiday is almost over anyway.

9 comments:

  1. We had a play pen, and at one stage, I put in around the table legs as I was sewing, and it kept one or both away from the machine cords and foot pedal. Very Handy. Love the play mat, a super idea,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear you had to work on holiday and also had to stand on the train journey! How things change slowly!! I love red rice!!! Sweet mochi rice could be the most difficult thing to get here. Nothing can be a substitute of it!!! We had a playpen for our daughter which covered most of floor space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear you had to work on holiday and also had to stand on the train journey! How things change slowly!! I love red rice!!! Sweet mochi rice could be the most difficult thing to get here. Nothing can be a substitute of it!!! We had a playpen for our daughter which covered most of floor space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I read your blog regularly but I don't think I've commented before.
    I had sort of a down day myself...unusual for me and I think also for you.
    Keep looking for simple and happy things in life. They are there...just not as evident as in days past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids nowadays just don't have the respect that we were raised with. We all have those kind of days, I just muddle through them and keep busy, it usually passes;) Playpens were a life saver for me, let me get things done without having to worry about what they were doing. And when they got older, I didn't baby proof the house, and they never got hurt or swallowed anything. Love the quilt and such a sweet memory.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute play pen blanket. We had a play pen for our boys. I even made sheets for it, for when they used it on trips. I didn't really need it in the house very often, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing that comes with 'old age' is that we look at our 'collections' of things we maybe no longer need or want. Time to sort out, give away, throw out.... While going through the drawers we find them full of memories, that we can't discard...
    It's a charming playpen pad with a lot of EMBROIDERY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Play pens are still in use here. With open plan homes and easy access kitchens they are handy for keeping kids away from hot ovens and stoves. We used them a lot when camping as we could set up camp without having to constantly chase children.
    Love the decorated blanket you found from yours.
    I don't mind getting old. It means I have had a long and wonderful time.
    Hope some of those people learn to stand up on the train and give the seats to those who should be using them. maybe you should go and sit on a lap or two and give them a fright!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting old gets a pan from me. It is nice that they have things like senior's discounts and special seats on transit and elders days - but you are right, so few people observe these things and even if they did it wouldn't make up for the loss of strength and mobility and health. I hope the red rice was tasty! The playpen pad is priceless!

    ReplyDelete