Thursday, March 15, 2018

Playing with scraps



It's nice to have a bit of take-along work, and I'm surprised how much can be done on train rides if I can grab a seat. Of course I carry something to read in case I have to stand. the danger of reading while sitting was something I experienced Wednesday, by falling asleep, only to be awakened by the conductor at the end of the line. At least I am within two stops of that station but still a bit embarrassing...
Thursday evening I finished up the last of the prepared pieced squares. I wanted to lay it out to see the overall effect, as I had the feeling that using squares and strips in the "crumb" blocks might look more boring than those more random bits one can get from adding odd pieces by machine.

I sorted the pieced blocks a bit to get variety of color and shape of pieces used, but arranging this layout was just random and seems to work.

I have not done the math to see how large a quilt I can get, but this much only removed the first 6 inches from over a meter of fabric. With rain falling outside and no meeting to attend, I might see even a bit more progress.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely layout, and if they are all scraps, it looks very co-ordinated. How you manage to stitch on a train always amazes me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gray fabric sets off the colourful crumbs. Better stitch than read on the train, then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your alternate block setting using the grey fabric. It's always a joy to find new ways to use our scraps too precious to toss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun quilt - lots of color which I like to see. I am sure you weren't the first or last person the conductor has seen on his train.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Julie - that mottled purplish-black looks GREAT!! It really shows off all of those colorful bits and pieces. Challenge-wise - I think that alternate block is my "find" of the year - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrappy quilts are fun projects. I like the layout of this quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your setting of the blocks. There is a lot of satisfaction in making a scrap quilt using "scraps".

    ReplyDelete
  8. With your busy schedule, I think your body was telling you something and rest is good too.
    I love the dark blocks with the others and that would be fun to quilt a nice design in.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The background fabric looks great in this. I also see that with an on point-setting that the traditional blocks don't look so traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! I see that Gene Black is working on something similar, but will end up looking very different with his rainbow background. I love how the same project can look so very different when made by different people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely not boring. Love the way you are using the scraps and alternating with the solids. Great start!

    ReplyDelete