Monday, June 13, 2022

Moving along

 

Today I added the last block of another row to my log cabin.

I played around with some of the blocks yesterday, to get a better balance of dark and light in the Ohio star area.

The size is now 50" x 79". There will be space left for planning a border ... and time to think about the possibilities.

Meanwhile, I have to get this off the floor in case guests come, so I had better begin getting this sewed.








The hardest part will be keeping the blocks in order while in the process and I am hoping this plan will work.

At the last quilt show, I picked up this collection of Clover clips. I think they were made to use to hold seams when sewing by machine, but since I don't use a machine, I think these will help keep the blocks in order until they are together, and not fall off as readily as pins. 


I put on little numbered stickers which will keep them in order.

Then, I clipped each one to the bottom edge along the first row.
Hopefully, that will help to avoid possible mistakes of getting a block turned the wrong way, since I can't see the whole setting as I go.


I can use more clips and numbered dots to put at the end of each row so they don't get twisted before joining.

Sound like a plan? 

Now, to try it out ....
See you later, I gotta go sew!



11 comments:

  1. I like your clip arrangement, and a lovely colour layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly sounds like a good plan - I hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good plan. I often use numbers for the rows and letters for the columns. That way it's sort of like a grid and I know exactly where each block goes. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that sounds like a good plan! But sort of a suspense-filled nail biter too! I have those clips and love them - never for any machine use, but for doing things like you are doing, or keeping pieces-in-progress together, or when I'm tacking back binding by hand, I use a few to keep the next few inches held down while I hand sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone - it’s a great plan. You are so clever and organized.
    I often take a photo with my mobile phone of the laid out blocks so I can refer to that picture. Like you I have no design wall and the floor must be free of quilting stuff whenever I take a break. Otherwise the cat will mess it up for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ps I forgot to sign my comment.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck x I am sure you can do it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a succcessful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever use of clips! I'll have to pick myself up a pack!

    ReplyDelete