Thursday, August 25, 2022

Complete and gifted

 With a rather heavy schedule and school beginning soon, I was anxious to get this I-Spy quilt finished and into the hands of the new youth ministry person before the end of the month, when classes resume. I was lucky to have enough thinsulate for batting, making it fine for simple pin basting.

I laid the flimsy out face down on the floor, put the batting on top, then the backing, and smoothed it all out making sure the edges were even. Then I just pinned it around the edges and flipped it over to check. I made sure the top was smooth, then put safety pins, spaced out in the top. The quilting was mostly in-the-ditch, with some inner quilting in the 4 inch squares. I used my hoop and it went very quickly. A simple linked-hearts pattern fit nicely in the border.

Saturday, I had to pick up my car from the inspection place, so while going through town, I picked up some bias tape to match the blue border sashing and all the little blue dots in that orange print. My last task was to back-stitch the doubled binding on and then turn it to the back and add a label. I may have been a bit later than usual going to bed, but could rest well having finished.

In the morning I went to the park to get document the finish with a photo. It was quite cloudy, so not looking so colorful, but at least I did not have to deal with wind or shadows messing up the results.

I had to get to church early because of an early discussion with a group reading Shusaku Endo's "Silence".  Then it was time for the service and I could pass the quilt to the new owner at the following coffee hour. Next thing I need to do us get a print made for my paper diary.

The log cabin awaits basting and a small labyrinth quilt is the next on the list, as well as a stewardship banner for later next month. I sewed signature leaves on to the anniversary banner and will have to check out my stash for a strip to add a hanging sleeve. There are still areas where people can sign, but maybe those signatures can be added when it is hanging.

The weather is still hot and humid, though the morning was a bit cooler than yesterday. Since I missed last week's weeding in the park because of rain, I got a huge bag of weeds on today's outing.  I left a few piles of weeds for the "gardeners" to collect rather than start another bag. Saturday it will go to the corner to be collected.

7 comments:

  1. Julie, your I-Spy, is delightful, I looked closer and all those blocks, so many colours in the sashing, it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made yet another great quilt with plenty to look at. I like the colorful border, too.
    Soon school activities will resume and we will all have new challenges.
    I am about to start a new wall quilt. I was inspired by Tanya’s labyrinth quilt and see that you, too will make one. However, I am opting for a mandala quilt where I can put more embroidery in.
    Keep cool, summer is still hot and humid even if the mornings are a bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift! I’m sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really worked on this one to get it done. Lovely that you didn't have to get too many items before reaching the finish line. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful! Doesn't that hand quilting just make the quilt!

    ReplyDelete