Monday, March 13, 2023

Time flies when you're having fun...

Well, that is the way the saying goes...

In my case, fun or work, time seems to take off on its own. I keep thinking, that one of these days, I'll be going out the door, and meet myself coming in, and not be able to tell which is the real me!


 My "ZOOM" quilt is still getting a bit of attention.
At this point, I am working on quilting the blue inner border.
I used thinsulate #80, which is rather puffy and a bit difficult to get small stitches. though I usually would quilt this in the ditch, I decided to try quilting it on the diagonal, thinking I might go in both directions, but after doing a few rows, decided I would rather have it puffy, and probably that much quilting is enough to hold it together. It is quite cozy to sit under while working, and I ended up changing the direction of the lines in a few places, so all the quilting wouldn't be pointing in just one direction.


The border quilting is taking some time, and I probably should have done something simpler, as it really doesn't show up on the floral print.

Looking through all the "gifted" fabric for making a backing,  I was amazed to see so many large amounts ... I'm talking meters of fabrics ... with maybe one ten-inch corner cut out, and the rest just jumbled up in a pile. At the speed I work, it will take several lifetimes to use half of it! Yet, throwing it out does not seem an option ... which is probably why I was "gifted" it in the first place.

I thought as I got older, I would have more time for sitting around and quilting, but somehow that is not the case.  Four days a week, I am at the preschool, helping the art teacher (preparing for and cleaning up after) her after-school classes ... as well as working with the kids and her classroom activities. I usually don't get home until after 5pm, and turn in early. (can't sit on the train in rush hour

Monday mornings I still deliver onigiri to the homeless in Shibuya, but for a few weeks without my car, I began bringing the bags home by train, and then delivering them, taking the first train out in the morning. That was a lot of walking, and the bags are heavy. Since I am back singing in the church choir, I also had an extra bag with my music to carry, and wished to shop on the way home from the station, rather than walk there and back another time. 

Even when my car returned home, I thought it might save time and gas to bring those onigiri home on Sundays. For the last few weeks, my back has begun to protest, and a pinched nerve in my right hip is getting more attention than I would wish for. The only place to find any relief is on the heated toilet seat, not the place to do quilting...

Meanwhile, the zoom quilt gets attention while zooming three times a week for morning meetups,  noon  and evening sessions plus women's conference workshops, gatherings with kids, scout stuff beyond our monthly pack meeting, to the point I have to post stickers on my laptop for reminders ... hoping I can remember what day it is, and keep my grandfather clock wound up so the bonging will remind me of the time. (It just now reminded me that it is time to get going)

Maybe tonight, after my zooming, I can get a bit caught up on what my blogging friends are up to!

12 comments:

  1. It is nice to see you blog again. I was getting a bit worried. It is nice to hear that you have been busy and I am amazed at what you have achieved on your quilt in spite of being busy with so many other activities. You are working on yet another beauty.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to read your blog again, Julie. You are amazing serving others in so many ways. Sorry to hear about your back pain. I had to giggle about the warm toilet seat providing relief. I imagine you are happy to have found a way to get relief. I hope it soon improves. Your quilt is looking great, the quilting on the border is beautiful. Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so busy, these days I am content to be a lot quieter, and can sit with a cryptic puzzle boot or some hand embroidery. However there is always something else that needs attention. Lovely cross stitching, your hand work is so regular and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you need to assess the many responsibilities you have accepted over time and see if you can relinquish any of them to other people? It sounds as if you might be over-taxing yourself...things I used to do without a thought are now a struggle or require ice and rest afterwards.
    I always look forward to seeing your latest project and am in awe of your hand quilting. I hope the coming spring will find you feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun to see what you are sewing and to hear what you've been up to - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would a heating pad help your hip? I like the quilt. Don't over do things. You deserve some rest, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would one of those microwave heateable wheat bags help? They help in almost all situations for me. And yes, I always thought time management would get easier with advancing years, but that has turned out not to be the case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely quilt is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see the progress on your quilt.
    Being retired seems to make us busier than ever. Not sure how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to read your blog. Your quilts are amazing! Keeping busy keeps you young. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so busy and doing such wonderful things in the community. I wish the young people would be attentive and give you a seat on the train. It really bothers me! Your quilt is wonderful and it's a good season to cozy up with it as you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is amazing how much you are getting done! The quilt is beautiful and your hand quilting will be so appreciated. Don't strain your back too much. I am paying the price of too much heavy carrying last year. I know that I'm younger than you are but I sure can't do the amount of work that you do! In quiltig nor out in the community!

    ReplyDelete