Friday, October 20, 2017

It has been a while ....

Not much quilting to report ...
even though my last post was ten days ago.

We have had rain, rain, and more rain, and it seems to be fogging up my brain. The 13th was my regular Cub Scout pack meeting and it was after 11:pm when I got home. I was to go to the Boy Scout Friendship Patrol-o-ree but decided to get some sleep and leave early Saturday morning.

I woke several times to the pounding of rain on the roof above my futon, and though I had set the alarm for an early rise, I over-slept. Then, I couldn't find my car keys. I thought I might have left them in the car when I went to get the camping gear organized the day before so Nikko and I set off to the car park. Nope! No keys there. Then I walked along our dog-walking route to see if I might have dropped the keys on the roundabout way home. Nope, no keys. Then I came back home and went through all the bags and pockets again. Yep, at the very bottom of my rain jacket. Bad me! I usually hang the keys on the hook right inside the front door when I come in but with the dog and carrying stuff from the car, my attention to detail was not working.

By the time I set off, the traffic was super heavy so I ended up taking the "expensive" route using the expressway. Even that was slow with traffic, and when I finally got through the gate to the camp, the cars were stopped on the lower road because there was a cross-country run going on.  I have to admit I was not a lot of use to the program once I got there, but it was really nice to meet so many of my Scouting friends ... some of the Japanese Scouters I had not seen in many years. I had to leave before the campfire ... no idea how that went as it was dumping rain all weekend ... I had to have Nikko walked and be out the door by 7:00 am Sunday, because the choir was singing at the early service. I was glad I didn't have to find some place to dry and fold a wet tent as we have only had half a day of sun all week.

Monday I overslept again and ran out with Nikko for rice delivery. I was an hour and a half later than usual but with heavy rain, even though the trains had begun running, there were lots of homeless in the B1 and B2 basements and 30 packs went out quickly. It was much later than usual when I returned home so I grabbed a quick bite and set out for school, happy for the water-proof shoes my son bought me a few years ago.


Nothing getting done on the mola ... It is time for making the next Stewardship banner so I have been measuring and marking and cutting and now beginning to sew. I have been dragging my feet on this one as the theme selected is "Renew". The church basement/fellowship hall is in process of renovation so the committee thought it a good theme. I am wondering what "renew" might mean to those who have never made any commitment in the first place ... but dithering has put me behind the curve. So ... if there are no posts for another ten days, don't be surprised.

I woke to rain on the roof today and it is still raining. This weekend ... from tonight through Sunday ... is another Scout event ... the Order of the Arrow ... that I always take part in, leading the "Brotherhood walk". It was still not known last night if there were any Brotherhood candidates going to be there so one of my brother scouts sent a message that he would take my place if needed. I will be glad to stay home tomorrow ... skype with the kids ... teach english, and SEW! There is a typhoon heading in our direction ... supposed to arrive in time for rice delivery on Monday. Hopefully my brain won't get any more mushy than it already is.

13 comments:

  1. We have had no heavy rain for a while now, and finally things are dry.You have been so busy, it will be extra good to have a day at home. A rainbow,sign of a fresh start after rain maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have been busy - so enjoy your time "off" and SEW!! Rainy days make my brain mushy, too - I don't like going out in it - I prefer to watch it through the window - while I sew - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you do keep busy - and in the rain too. I'm lucky in that I don't have to go out in the rain if I don't want to. Don came in actually dripping the other night. He had to put his clothes in the dryer. we got well over 3 inches in less than 2 days - and they are expecting up to 80 inches of snow in the mountains of BC and here in WA. They say that the storm is 5000 miles long and coming this way from China - looking for much more rain this weekend. I like the idea of the rainbow banner, I know it will be fabulous, as always. Hope your weekend dries up a bit, we're watching the typhoon. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you can really use that break - I hope you relish it! I look forward to seeing what you sew. Our weather has been dithering between winter - fresh blizzardy, blowing snow - and spring - temperatures around 5 degrees, sun and the snow melting on the sidewalks and streets. I hope winter comes soon. Lots of swans flying overhead going south last night. I bet they know what is up and are hightailing it before more snow and cold arrive. Hope you don't get hit too hard by the typhoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you need a few days off, you really do keep busy with all the activities and I am sure the constant rain isn't helping.
    I like rain, but at night, like the sound on the roof and find it soothing. I hope the monsoon isn't too bad and you stay safe.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are never satisfied with the weather, are we? A super wet August and now an October that seems to be just as wet but wintery cold instead of summery hot. it is easy to over sleep!
    The best thing to do is stay at home and quilt!
    I think the rainbow is very pretty on your new banner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I understand the annoying searching for "lost" things. I sometimes think the laws of physics do not apply to my house. Hope the rain has stopped. Today here in the southern UK we are awaiting Storm Brian but I am still off out to the Quilters' Guild Birthday Party making blocks with red crosses for an installation and looking at the Traditional Group suitcase collection in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a busy life you lead. No wonder you haven’t had time to blog. I haven’t blogged in over a month and I have no excuse. Good to hear from you, my friend, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it's nice to just stay home. My last 2 months have been stressful, but, things are starting to settle down now, and I'm starting to be able to concentrate again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like the rain has taken over your plans. It does make it hard to get about. Sometimes it would be lovely to shut the door and stay home, but that is not the way it works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sleeping in, you must have needed it. We need rain, send some down under please. Look after yourself and stay dry, sewing sounds like a good idea in rainy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie, Happy Birthday on October 31! We love the colorful design for the "Renew" banner. It is very difficult to get things done when it is pouring rain. Take care of yourself, and get all the rest that you need. Big hugs and blessings to both you and Nikko, from Marina and Daryl Lynn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
    Thanks for sharing
    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete