Sunday, September 15, 2019

Big stitching has begun


Yesterday I stopped at the local shop and bought white and navy sashiko thread.

Today I finished all the small area quilting and decided to start the big stitch to see how it shows up.

Though this is rather simple, I think it will be a lot easier than trying to mark a design on these busy prints.

The white sewline pencil shows up on all of the dark prints and maybe half of the light ones.

I may have to go shopping for a new ChakoAce in blue or purple ink.
The purple is easier to see but the ink disappears with time ... which is extremely short when there is a lot of humidity. The blue, I can remove with a paintbrush dipped in water.

I still have time to think about how I am going to manage marking the border.

Today is a holiday ... Respect for the aged day. As last year, I began the day delivering onigiri to the homeless. After a break during the hot summer, the homeless guys greeted me most warmly. Many asking me about Nikko, who was waiting in the car as I don't think she would be able to handle two flights of stairs.

The day is gray and rainy and I am rather glad to spend it quilting. My boss is now having her baby and it will be November before I am back to school. Last year I worked on this holiday and even though it was a day for the elderly, there was no chance of sitting on the train either into town or back. These days it would be even harder to get a seat. The trains are beginning to open up the space near the doors and they are doing it by removing "Silver Seats" which are intended for seniors and handicapped or expectant mothers.

Up until now, there have been 8 seats (four on each side) at the ends of each car. Recently the newer cars have just six at one end and three at the other ... making room for baby carts or wheelchairs. In addition, they have moved the hand grips up near the ceiling, out of reach of the majority of elderly people. Even my gorilla arms are not long enough to get a tight hold. Even with 8 seats, the chances of sitting were quite slim as the seats went to the youngest and most aggressive. Then, they pull out their cell phones so as not to see the elderly standing in front. I have often wondered if they have any idea that some day they might be elderly themselves.

From tomorrow, things get hectic so it is good to zone-out on the sofa with a quilt in my lap. Only competition for sitting is piles of sorted fabric and a box of sewing equipment.

6 comments:

  1. The stitching is really lovely, and highlights the design so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your sewing day. The stitching is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is beautiful. The simple lines perfectly enhance it. It is wonderful that your country has such a holiday, and especially wonderful that you honor it by feeding the homeless. It is sad that even on such a day, you were not able to find a seat on the train. Maybe you look too young and vibrant to offer a seat! You may have to tap on the shoulder and ask one of the people buried in the cell phone whether you can sit there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love the sashiko thread big stitching idea! ;). It really irks me, the train situation you find yourself in. It's such a paradox, in such a "polite" culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your quilting is perfect for this quilt. What is the difference is sashiko and regular hand quilting thread. I may have to order some just to try it out. Does it come in different weights?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I never ride the trains I certainly don't see the NON-respect to the elderly there, but the day went by in my town with very little notice. I think the local community center had a lunch for people whom they invited (over 70) but I heard that not that many people turned up. No one wants to have their age celebrated?

    Remember the year one community group sent the aged in their city pedometers for a Respect the Aged Day present? The idea I suppose was to keep healthy and fit by walking as much as possible but it didn't go over well for the seniors who were in wheelchairs or bed-bound!

    ReplyDelete