Friday, September 28, 2018

Four down, two to go

Wow, where does time go?
Monday was my usual early morning onigiri run. Since it was a holiday, Autumnal Exuinox", traffic was less and the drive to pick up and deliver the onigiri went along quite quickly. The train to school was also less crowded and I got to sit the whole way ... very unusual. The week before was also a holiday, "Respect for the Aged" and I could sit on the way to school that day too. As I finished up a bit earlier than usual, I could sit on the way home too.

Wednesday I was expecting a visit from a friend, so daytime was spent trying to remove enough clutter that she would have a place to sit. Last of all, de-dog-hairing the carpet. If there was an award for shedding, Nikko would win it paws down. All the plucking of hair done in May and June is back in and falling out in big hunks. Each morning I sweep hair off the stairs as I come down, and when I go up to bed at night there is a pile in the corner of every step.

My friend had brought some black on white fabric with words printed in Afrikaans. Since I am using leftover blocks to make a quilt for our pastor who is from South Africa, It was a super bonus, and while here, we looked over the print and selected words to include in the blocks I will make.

From Wednesday evening, I began sewing the strips of yukata fabric together for the big quilt back.
Those are long seams, and by tonight I have completed sewing four strips. Two are left to go. They are not take-along work and I have to stop from time to time... take a break, and rethread my needle.

These days the weather has been crazy with hot and cold and off and on rain. One night I am waking up being too hot and the next getting up at two am and putting on a down vest. With a typhoon moving in, who knows what will be next.

Meanwhile, Since last week there has been a crashing and banging as the house next to the weed lot has been taken down. This seems to be the new normal for our neighborhood. Several weeks ago, it was the building across the street to the east. An old Japanese style house, it took about two weeks to remove the building and another two weeks to smash up and remove the foundation. Then there was the same going on to the north-west of my block. Now both of those are re-building , so lots of banging and hammering. To the direct south, four lots down, an apartment is going up so lots of sound from there ... other than the smashing, because that was an empty lot for the last ten years. Then, from last weekend, the building across the street to the south began coming down. My poor neighbors could barely get their cars out because of trucks blocking the way. Our lane is not intended for cars so going by the front of my house, only a small car with the mirrors turned in can fit.

Well, today, the final blocks of concrete were hauled off.

This is what Nikko and I found on our afternoon walk.

For some reason, they took out the fence between the plot and the tan house on the corner..
I was rather glad that this year I did not plant flowers along the fence because everything was ripped out.

I did go over and pick up some bulbs that had been pushed to the top of the soil. What was a triangle of stones is now bare soil and I'm wondering how much of the space the new building will take up. (and what weeds will be moving in now that the ground-cover is gone.


What you see behind the fence is actually two houses.

The shorter house has two dogs that bark every time Nikko and I walk down and around the corner to the park. Today, without a house in the way, they barked as we walked all the way around.

Can you see the space between those two houses? It is narrower than the length between my thumb and pinky...
about six to six and a half inches. I can't imagine living that close to those yappy dogs.

Usually, the space between houses is around a meter.
Our garden space is 57 inches wide, with a path to the gate, but the neighbor's house is only a foot or so from the other side of the wall. Only wide enough for cats to pass through.

The neighbor to the north has a large garden so his house is much farther away.

These are the two houses built across the lane from our house.
The space between them is less than 20 inches.

When our house was built, there was a rule about the percentage of house space one could have according to the total lot. That is why we have a tiny garden.

These days, if the rules exist, they are nor being followed.
When our house was being built, the neighbor to the north came during the night and measured everything, then objected to my third floor room, allowing us to only have one meter at the top of the stairs. The rest became a deck, and was later turned into a greenhouse. The problem is, because it was to be a covered room, the roof is flat and the water collects and sets and works its way into the walls, rotting them out.

New putty was put in this summer and so far no leaking, but the roof is metal and gets hot in summer and cold in winter and that may be why the putty is short-lived. Since there is a large hole in the floor, I can remove the temporary step and check after the rain for leaks.

Rain is predicted for the next two days so maybe I can get the last two strips sewed together ... and maybe have time to assemble the new blocks and arrange those final rows. It is probably also time to hunt up my down comforter so I don't have to go looking for warmer clothing in the middle of the night. I don't think it is time to dig out my sleeping bag as yet.

11 comments:

  1. You can’t predict weather, one day here it was a warm 27 degrees C and the next day it was a cold blustery 14 C. I am finding the housing process of your neighbourhood interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how crowded the public transport is, with more people using it. Glad you got a respite from standing.
    I can't wait to see what you are making, your friend's fabric sounds perfect for the project. Our weather is all over the place, got some rain, now a nice week ahead and might even hit 80 again. It will be nice when they finish redoing your neighborhood, so you can enjoy it without the mess and noise.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, on the way to the station, I met the man who lives next to the weed lot. We talked about the long days of noise and I asked him about his section of fence they had removed. He said not to worry, he could put up another fence ... but ... that he had gone out at that time after they had begun digging up the foundation and rescued all the hyacinth bulbs I had planted along the base and moved them to a new location.
    I know my neighbors appreciate that I kept the lot weeded and planted and clean, but hearing him say how he valued those flowers enough to rescue the bulbs, brings tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that was so sweet of him to let you know!

      Delete
  4. And I thought our neighbors tend to be too close. Why have such a narrow space? I would think they would end up with a rodent and weed problem. I suppose it is better than sharing a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always amazed at the small space between homes in Japan. I remember driving through a neighborhood that my friend lived in and saw a car parked in a carport with the windows down because they didn't have the space to open their car doors.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house next door to mine has a large window-opening between the carport and the outside wall just for that purpose. It gives them about two feet more to open the door on the driver's side. I guess if they want to buy a new car, they will have to take a tape measure along to get one that fits that space.

      Delete
  6. the house next door to me is being renovated and I an sympathise with the sound of banging and hammering x .. it is wonderful when they stop isn't it? lol x Stay dry and warm x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can people have repairs done, if they can't fit a human between the houses?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing that the houses are so close - I guess we in the USA are very spoiled with all our space. And your quilt idea sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think MY yard is small and the space narrow between two houses but compared to the big cities... I think relatives should live in those two houses and pass food through the windows! I wonder why builders even put windows into those narrow spaced walls (and sometimes they do!). My house is dark but at least my windows are blocked by forest!

    ReplyDelete