Monday, August 23, 2021

Half a star

 After making three "Big Boy" quilts to replace single bed size baby quilts made long ago, I have started on the first of the "Big Girl" quilts. Maile is at the top of the list, and her request has changed with time. After seeing a Morning Star quilt made years ago, she said she wanted one of those. 

I dug out my collection of yukata fabrics, and, not using a sewing machine, I have begun marking and cutting diamond blocks to assemble in star points. Now, half of the points are together and I can get an  idea of how this will look.

I have yet to decide on the background . I am thinking of Hawaiian style blocks with hibiscus flowers. Since it will be a double bed size, I plan to put some of these fabrics in the border as well.  Hopefully I will get a bit of input as to the main colors. I could stick with blue and white ... dark on light or light on dark. or I could add a third color. I may assemble this as a quilt-as-you-go to make it a bit easier to quilt. 

Hopefully, by the time I get to the quilting stage, the sauna weather will have ended. 



12 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so gorgeous, and will be a treasure for right into adult times and a lot longer. Love those colours together. soft and gentle.What a lot of hand stitching, you are a gem to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue is my favorite color. I think this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo your half star is beautiful. What a great use for the yukata fabrics. I'm in awe of your hand piecing! I walked to do an errand today and it felt like being in a sauna for an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful fabrics - this will be a real heritage quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lone star is beautiful with the colors and fabrics you have chosen. I did make a lone star on the machine, but believe I would have enjoyed the process more if I had English Paper Pieced the star. Hand work is always so satisfying and calming for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Your hand stitching never ceases to amaze me - it's BEAUTIFUL!! - ))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking wonderful. What a lovely quilt to choose. Lots of work in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! When did that all come together?! Suddenly you've got half a beauty there! Love the blue of the yukata fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be such a gorgeous quilt. The yukata fabric is amazing stitched in this fabulous pattern. I cannot wait to see the progress of this beauty. Blue and white together is always a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great start. It will be a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete