Thursday, August 12, 2021

Playing with leftovers

 Planning is underway for the anniversary banner, and I am looking at the small pieced blocks that were replaced with color-coordinated ones.  There are not enough to make anything big ... though I have plenty of scraps that I could use to make more... It might be fun to just put a few together that I could use as gifts for friends. Hmmm. I wonder what might be a useful gift.

Not everyone has a square table. Mine is round and a long runner would not fit well.  Maybe a small runner or a large mug rug would find a use. I have one on my getabako in the genkan, and another on the shelf above my trash bins. A quilted item to set a hot tea pot along with cups and milk or sugar containers... Or a little luncheon mat...

Well, here are a few test pieces.


The one on the left is basted and ready for quilting. The floral blocks were intended to be used in the banner.  The one on the right is the "Bento box" pattern. I used some of these blocks for a gift and the rest for a long runner for my coffee table.  I have made a number of floral quarter-blocks with nothing in mind other than to use up some small scraps. 

Both of these patterns use one-inch strips. Anything smaller than a square inch , I toss in the waste bin ... though I have in the past used one-inch half-square triangles.  So... now I have a little quilting to fill my zoom time.  I don't know where these will end up, but hopefully there is someone out there who likes scraps as much as I do. I wonder if these small squares might make a quilt. In the past, I used some to make a "crumb quilt". That was snatched up by my daughter, Kimie. Then I was lucky to have a rather large piece of dark "gifted" fabric for setting the blocks. I would rather not have to buy any more fabric to use in setting blocks. 


6 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! I am always thinking of ways to make something out of small and leftover pieces. You have two very nice gifts in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both SOO lovely, soft and serene on the left, bright and breezy on the right. I save all small scraps of any batik, and give the cotton fabric ones to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your test pieces - they will make wonderful gifts! Sometimes I think I like my scraps more than I do my yardage. Scraps remind me of the larger projects that produced them - and I get to enjoy them all over again - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your ideas for what use your two lovely pretties could be used. One is a pastel beauty, and the other cheery and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Bento Box pattern. I thought I'd throw out any scraps less than 2 inches square but maybe I should rethink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like those, especially the blue one. Small mats are great. I use them all over the place.

    ReplyDelete