Thursday, March 3, 2022

Where has time gone?

Maile's Big-girl quilt was finished on Valentines day. It is a bit difficult to find a fence area large enough for a picture, as any sunny area has lots of crossing shadows or the fence is too small. These days there is a lot of wind to add to the challenge as well.


 I am fairly happy with the results and the light blue bias binding worked well. I still need to add a label, but it will be some time before I can get this sent to Colorado.


The backing is all tenugui and yukata fabrics. Since the finished quilt is square, there is no top end, so I turned the prints in every direction. Two "Girls Day" (Hinamatsuri) prints remind me of that first granddaughter.

Having taken out lots of yukata fabrics from my stash, I began to realize I have way more than I can ever use. I started sorting it into categories and have one box of large strips. Another container of medium pieces and samples I was given many years ago. 

Then... Having used these fabrics in a number of quilts over the years, I found LOTS of cut pieces and scraps. Some of those, I decided to put together in a small throw for a friend.


This is now in the quilting stage. I am just quilting in the ditch to begin with and thinking what to do next.

It is basted, so I don't need to use a hoop, which goes somewhat faster. The center squares are three and a half inches and the batting is thinsulate so won't shift with use. I am debating quilting within those squares or leaving them puffy and warm.

I plan to use a karakusa design around the cranes. This friend teaches tea ceremony and is an expert on Japanese traditions. She has also been very generous in her friendship over the past years. I am hoping this will be something she will like and use.

The days seem to drag by with little change. No decorations went up at Christmas or New Years. Valentines day was just another day here, except for a giant basket of flowers coming from my kids,



and no  Hina dolls went out to celebrate Girls day. The plum tree we planted to celebrate my first daughter's birth, has been very slow to bloom this year, and the Sweet Daphne we planted for daughter #3 has taken the clue and late to bloom too. Junk piles up on my coffee table and each day seems like the last. 

Now it is the season of Lent.
I will celebrate with a haiku for the day.


As with a compass

May the needle in my hand

Keep me right on course.

13 comments:

  1. Your haiku is perfect for us here, those elsewhere, and anyone who is lost for a safe road to travel on.Love your quilt and the backing, in time it will find the way to Colorado.XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. love backing on first quilt and I adore scrap quilts so with your foreign to me scrap quilt I adore it. Irene in N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am obsessed with the fabrcs in the colorado quilt. soooo gorgeous ... great quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your haiku, and even if the days feel the same, you have accomplished much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, we love you. Great haiku, beautiful quilting and I hope this year brings the chance for us to connect in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maile’s quilt is gorgeous, front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Didn't Maile's big girl quilt turn out to be a masterpiece! Even with all the patterns going on it really came together beautifully and turned out elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your haiku - and your latest Masterpiece!! It's absolutely gorgeous!! - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful finish...this will be a family heirloom for sure.
    I too love your haiku. Ditto for Canada and me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful gig girl's quilt. It has finished up so well. Such a lot of work. And the pieced backing is great, too.
    And it is wonderful that you are using up lots of leftover pieces in the new throw. A bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful quilt Julie! And a sweet gift for your friend too. I hope as spring continues that 2022 will bring more hope, joy and connection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The big girl quilt is absolutely stupendous. A young woman who possesses such a quilt is very lucky. She is rich in beauty and love and can’t help but feel cherished, respected, and valued. The smaller quilt is also perfect, if I am permitted to say so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both quilts are lovely! I really like the origami crains you show in 2 different photos.

    ReplyDelete