Wednesday, July 6, 2022

on hold


Considering the heatwave we have been having here in Tokyo, I have left the log cabin waiting on the floor in the upstairs apartment for basting... hoping that the predicted rain later on in the week may cool things off a bit.

Looking around for a "zoom activity", I found a small cut of the fabric in the lower half, "Island Style" by "Kathy Mom", that is a Hawaiian print produced by Kathy Nakajima, a well-known Hawaiian quilter.

The piece was only 25.5 inches long, but there were 4 repeats of the design, so I decided to try making four repeat blocks in the "stack 'n' whack" style ... only I mark and cut rather than play around with rollerblades and machines.

It didn't take long before I had 20 five-inch blocks assembled. Now, what to do with them?

There aren't really enough to make something very big. I can use sashing or an alternate block setting ... maybe include the leftover piece in the center ... that might be big enough for a table runner.

I thought I would solve the problem of unused fabric. I hope I did not just create another UFO... 

7 comments:

  1. I like it so much, on a table will show off the beauty with all those colours and careful cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have worked magic with the stack and cut method.
    I think sashing is a good choice to extend the size and also keep each block free from “competition”.
    Good luck, and let’s hope for some cooler weather.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you did create a UFO, it's a pretty one and you had fun creating it;). I've never tried the "stack and whack" method. I thought of you when I heard a report on BBC about the extreme heat in Tokyo - I hope you are using your A/C!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like these blocks. I too think sashing would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the left over piece at the bottom - just like in the photo. And once again - it amazes me what you can do - all by hand!! - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, stash-busting is always a rather dangerous aim. You never know what will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric is terrific, and your squares fabulous with sashing. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with them.

    ReplyDelete